Homelite XL1 Automatic parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notfussysawguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

First time poster here. Just acquired a 16", built in Quebec Homelite XL1 Automatic model #UT50125 in a saw swap and am hoping that someone can pls answer a couple of questions about this model ...

1) is there a HL part number for an add on hand guard for the Auto? If not, can anyone pls recommend a different brand &/or an aftermarket hand guard for it that does not require drilling holes or otherwise permanently altering the housing, etc to securely attach it?

2) is the chain brake/bar cover from any other HL model compatible with the Auto?

3) a few cutters on the 72 link, 3/8" pitch, 0.050 chain on my saw are chipped ... which Oregon model chain is the correct one for the original 16" PT16381-D5 bar?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20220726_132547.jpg
    20220726_132547.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220726_132507.jpg
    20220726_132507.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220726_132528.jpg
    20220726_132528.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Forget the handguard and chain brake, the saw was never designed for them originally and they just clutter up the saw and make it weigh more. Learn safe operating procedure and wear protection gear, and appreciate the saw for what it is, light and powerful in a minimalistic way.
Forget the Oregon chain, go with the Stihl 33 RS, assuming your bar is 50 gauge. It's the only thing I'll use on mine, they cost more but they're better quality. Drive link count is probably 60, but check it just to make sure before you order.

Tks for the advice, Pioneer, and for taking the time to reply, esp since I shd have posted the thread in the "Homelite" category.

I've spent a heck of a lot more time repairing chainsaws than using them and the XL1's unusually narrow handle felt "funny" to grip, which is one concern (which cd be rectified by wrapping the handle with foam tape I guess).

The other is that both of my hands & arms are chronically plagued by tendonitis, so having a guard on the chainsaw will give me peace of mind - by comparison, test cutting with, say, even monster quickcuts like a Husky 3120K or TS760 after servicing them doesn't concern me at all b/c they have blade guards and there's no possibility of kickback cutting cinder blocks.

I have also test cut with other older HLs, incl bigger ones, after repairing them, but the XL1 Auto is the 1st that I've ever considering keeping and it's one thing to test a saw on a very stable log on the ground and moving around & using the saw at diff heights & angles, hence the above.

I order lots of parts from the local Stihl dealer, so I can just bring the saw in and ask the parts guys to let me check if the chain that you recommended fits before purchasing it.

Tks again, P

Tks again for taking the time to answer my query, Pioneer.

Don't mind sacrificing a bit of cutting speed for safety. Anyhow, NO chain can make the XL1 Auto cut as slowly as the 08S with the vane still attached to the choke that I just worked on lol

Cheers

Back