homemade 3 strand flipline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should note, I wouldnt mind getting some crane training, even tho osha doesnt require arborists to be certified crane operators, there is enough crane work in my area that id be stupid not to

I should note, I wouldnt mind getting some crane training, even tho osha doesnt require arborists to be certified crane operators, there is enough crane work in my area that id be stupid not to
There are lots of webinars on treestuff.com for all kinds of things including crane training.

I didn't realize you're only 15. I admire your desire to work hard outside when a lot of of your classmates are playing video games all day... Just be careful out there. Take it slow.

I trust my own splices more than anyone elses TBH
Who trained you? How many spices of yours have been inspected and put on a puller to break to make sure they are done correctly?

You have such confidence in your splices, but you want to use 3 strand because 16 strand is too hard to splice (taken from your reason to use 3 strand is because it is so easy to splice...).

I don't want to discourage you...but like @TheJollyLogger said, calm down and learn before deciding you know it all.

Glad you got the wire core lanyard.

You are asking some good questions. I applaud your ambition! Not that you need that from me...I just want to say that to let you know I'm not trying to knock you down - just want to help you make wise decisions. Best to you!

but you want to use 3 strand because 16 strand is too hard to splice
last time I tried 16 strand it was a major fail, so far ive never had a splice fail, and I beat on mine daily for rigging

not gonna lie, ive never had a splice tested, kinda stupid of me yes, im not arguing that, but atleast I followed the instructions lol, that is one reason I wont sell anything I spliced, too much liability

not gonna lie, ive never had a splice tested, kinda stupid of me yes, im not arguing that, but atleast I followed the instructions lol, that is one reason I wont sell anything I spliced, too much liability
Neither have I had one tested...but I don't claim mine are better than someone who splices all day for a living and has had their splices tested. That's all I was getting at...

Neither have I had one tested...but I don't claim mine are better than someone who splices all day for a living and has had their splices tested. That's all I was getting at...
I get ya, yeah im not trying to say mine are better, just that I personally feel safer on a slice done by me, since I can overlook everything as its being done

anybody using 3 strand to make homemade wirecore fliplines?

im looking at usint some 1/2" treemaster or safety blue and threading a cable thru it, two spliced eyes, and the cable just lays in the straight section (i.e not spliced thru the eye)

adjusted with a hip prusik, I think it should work well, I see people running the cable thru the eye as well, but I dont think that is a big deal, since with my design it is NOT load bearing, its just for the stiffness

any thoughts?
40 years ago when I started climbing we made our own flip lines from 3 strand.. there's an easy way to put cable in the rope. Flipping up big pines 60,70 DBH was easier with a 22' , 1 inch three strand rope. You could really flip those suckers. An eye splice and a crown knot is as strong as any flip line you can buy. We would clip one side and use a Becket bend on the other D ring(we called it the suicide knot)

40 years ago when I started climbing we made our own flip lines from 3 strand.. there's an easy way to put cable in the rope. Flipping up big pines 60,70 DBH was easier with a 22' , 1 inch three strand rope. You could really flip those suckers. An eye splice and a crown knot is as strong as any flip line you can buy. We would clip one side and use a Becket bend on the other D ring(we called it the suicide knot)
I will surely make one like yours in the future whenever I need one on a big removal, I bought a 10ft proclimb from my local agpro, I friggen love it, dunno what I did before lol
defiantly nice to be able to roll it

a few reasons 3 strand was a thought: can be very stiff and heavy (good for a flipline), I can splice it with my eyes shut, hands tied behind my back in about 5 minutes, and, its cheap and wear resistant

You put cable inside a three strand flipline 40 years ago?

How did you secure the ends in a neat and usable manner that didn't slip away from your spliced rope end?
I didnt

although I have seem people take a cable, splice both ends, then wrap the 3 strand around and splice it, effectively a double braid rope since the core is also load bearing

I didnt

although I have seem people take a cable, splice both ends, then wrap the 3 strand around and splice it, effectively a double braid rope since the core is also load bearing
That would work. Little more involved, but a couple tries should help a fellow figure out the right tension on when weaving the strands back into the rope.

Used to be a company that made a wire rope swaging kit that went in a shop press, I don't know if that is still available or not. It would make a nice neat loop end.

Back