Homeowner Chainsaw People Are the Flightiest Bunch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I'm not talking about people who fix saws, or use saws on a regular basis, but people who want a chainsaw, or have a saw they want to get running.

I can't begin to tell you how many people have told me they are going to buy a saw, tell me they are on their way, and then either never show up, or just ghost me all together. Just happened a few hours ago.

Guy said he was on his way, told me he would let me know when he was close, I waited outside for about an hour, and he never messaged me. I sent him a message asking when he would be there, and no response.

A few weeks ago my buddy called me and said he had a saw he wanted me to fix for him. I told him to bring it over. He didn't show. Talked to him and he said the following weekend he would stop by, he never did, haven't heard from him since.

Had another guy actually show up and buy a saw when he said he would, we started talking about saws, and he said he had a Husky that didn't run, and he wanted to either sell it, or have me fix it. He said he would be back the next day. That was 2 weeks ago, haven't heard from him since.

Had a different guy buy one of my saws and said it ran great, and then said he tried to start it later and couldn't get it to start. I told him to bring it back and I would look at it, he said ok, never heard from him again.

Had a guy that works for the town fire department who I have known for years, text my wife and ask for my number because the firehouse had saws that needed worked on. She gave it to him, and nothing....

And thats not counting the 20 or more people texting me if such and such saw is still available, and then I never hear back from them when I say "yes".

These are just the very recent stories. I could go on and on. Luckily I only flip saws for a hobby, cause this **** is frustrating as hell.

Rant over......

I hear you.

I have had my share of wild goose chases. One when I was buying wheels and tires, the guy ghosted me after I drove a half hour to meet at a shop near his home. Then he HOUNDED me all night to complete the transaction and offered a substantial discount to drive up to me. I told him no, we were through. Found out later one of the local dealers recently had a bunch of wheels stolen.

When I was in college I bought and sold used cars a bit. Those people were the worst. I learned quickly to not give out my address until the day of the visit otherwise people would drive into my yard during the day trying to scope out the car. I put the vehicles in the barn until they arrived. And SO MANY people say they are coming and never show. I often pestered them with calls, texts, and emails after the fact asking them if they were still interested or why they did not come. If I could get a hold of them I would point out that it was very rude to no show. I actually even made a sale one time to one of them after bugging them for several days!

The two types who piss me off the most are the guy who aggressively tries to negotiate products that are sight unseen and the person who says "I'll take it" and either no-shows or tries to renegotiate when they arrive.

For the last several years I have been donating things that I do not need to charities (tax savings are often worth more than selling at a discounted price, plus no hassle) and my saws are sold on here.

Back