Homeowner echo 680 vs makita/dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrmy_1

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first and only saw. Currently using to cut a couple 24" saws at my house (figured I'd justify buying a saw vs paying to have them cut down). Planning on buying some land to clear in the near future so would want to use it for that as well....basically weekend warrior use, most would be a couple weekends a month for firewood. Would do my own maintenance unless under warranty (unless I couldn't figure it out but usually between forums and YouTube, not an issue).

Been looking at the echo vs dolmar line due to economy. I found the makita 6421 for $559 shipped w/ 20" bar/chain. Is the much difference between the older 6401 vs the newer 6421? Any differences between the dolmar vs makita models other than color?

I like the echo 5 yr warranty but sounds like they have a non-standard chain/bar setup in 24" which I'd like to have as an option in the future.

I like the makita/dolmar cause it sounds like it can easily be upgraded to 79cc.

Any pros/cons of one vs the other for longevity, ease of maintenance, cost of parts, or other nuances that would drive someone to buy one vs the other?

Thanks for advise!
J

Land clearing unless it is saplings will be rough work. I would suggest save some more nickles and get a 70cc pro saw. Good deals, fair deals and once in awhile fantastic deals can be found on the classifieds here as well, two out of the four daily driver saws I use came from here. check it out. And no worrying about voiding warranty,. most of these saws done been molested in a good way already! http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaws.150/

Not much of a competition, the 6400 is a much stronger saw, and can easily be upgraded to a 7900.

As they come, they both are too heavy for the performance though, the Echo being the worst in that regard.

I'm in the market for my first and only saw. Currently using to cut a couple 24" saws at my house (figured I'd justify buying a saw vs paying to have them cut down). Planning on buying some land to clear in the near future so would want to use it for that as well....basically weekend warrior use, most would be a couple weekends a month for firewood. Would do my own maintenance unless under warranty (unless I couldn't figure it out but usually between forums and YouTube, not an issue).

Been looking at the echo vs dolmar line due to economy. I found the makita 6421 for $559 shipped w/ 20" bar/chain. Is the much difference between the older 6401 vs the newer 6421? Any differences between the dolmar vs makita models other than color?

I like the echo 5 yr warranty but sounds like they have a non-standard chain/bar setup in 24" which I'd like to have as an option in the future.

I like the makita/dolmar cause it sounds like it can easily be upgraded to 79cc.

Any pros/cons of one vs the other for longevity, ease of maintenance, cost of parts, or other nuances that would drive someone to buy one vs the other?

Thanks for advise!
J

Or you could just watch Ebay for a brand new Echo cs600p ($400 ea. for my last 2) and have Mastermind port it. I hear they will out cut just about every 70cc pro saw out there...but that's just what I hear;). Wait for it...here comes SawTurd to tell us all that the only real saw is a Husky and I'm full of crap.

I like the idea of the 6400 0ver the echo 680. If I where buying an echo in that size 590 or 620
Might want to make sure you have a lot of work lined up for that size of saw ahead of time.
The 6400 can handle a ton of timber and convert it to a 7900 and there are very few trees that it would have any trouble with.
I am of the mind set use the smallest saw for the job. I use my small saw a lot more than my 60cc saw and I very seldom use my big saw for anything more than milling. A lot of people make the mistake of buying a 60-70cc saw when in reality they only need a 40-50cc saw.
I know a lot of guys will tell you that they would rather use their 40cc saw until they have to grab a bigger saw.

Thanks for advise!
J

I just re read your post and want to clarify,
You have never owned a chainsaw?
You are planning on taking down two 24in trees?

Back