Hook a homie up with info on homies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordidipower

Reaction score
Long time lurker here thank I’m advance. This site has already answered tons of questions for me in the past.

I recently started heating with wood. Where I live I have to drive a bit to go harvest wood in the wild so when I go I need to have trusty tools for the task. I burn about 3 cords a year. As it sites right now I have 2 homelite super xl auto’s and 2 410’s. Now, the 410’s need at minimum crank seals and one of the xl’s needs crank seals and one runs well. My question is should I spend the money and fix up these saws or should I call it and get a Husqvarna 365? The homies are all in really good shape they are just old and need the soft parts replaced. Remember I need reliable saws. Right now I’m in all 4 saws 350$ so spending money on them wouldn’t hurt my feelings but am I setting myself up for a money pit trying to make old saws work?
Again thanks in advance. Also I am a mechanic by trade so doing the repairs myself isn’t a problem.

Thank you sir. I joined and it’s a fantastic sight. Although I am excited to continue actively on here as well.

Long time lurker here thank I’m advance. This site has already answered tons of questions for me in the past.

I recently started heating with wood. Where I live I have to drive a bit to go harvest wood in the wild so when I go I need to have trusty tools for the task. I burn about 3 cords a year. As it sites right now I have 2 homelite super xl auto’s and 2 410’s. Now, the 410’s need at minimum crank seals and one of the xl’s needs crank seals and one runs well. My question is should I spend the money and fix up these saws or should I call it and get a Husqvarna 365? The homies are all in really good shape they are just old and need the soft parts replaced. Remember I need reliable saws. Right now I’m in all 4 saws 350$ so spending money on them wouldn’t hurt my feelings but am I setting myself up for a money pit trying to make old saws work?
Again thanks in advance. Also I am a mechanic by trade so doing the repairs myself isn’t a problem.
Probably just get an echo cs 590.

Get a stihl…just skip all,the intermediate steps… 👍 👍

Super Xl-12s are incredibly easy to maintain, the crank seals are basically 6120 or 6119 double lip.
Fuel lines and spark plugs are readily available as well as clutches,drums,and bars.
Even if you go for a 365 you can have the XL-12s as a solid backup. Personally I would go for the oe 372xp or MS462 if your gonna step up.
I have no experience with the 410.

If you are in this burning firewood for the long haul, I would get a Sthil or Husqvarna, and get a pro model, not the homeowner saw. You will pay more for it, but you get what you pay for. I don't know a lot about the Homelite or the Sthil saws. I got Started with Husky saws, had very good luck with them. and stayed with them. I would get the new saw, and get the size saw that you will use the most with the size firewood you are cutting. Get a bar on it that is one size shorter than whatever size the saw is rated for. It will run better and be happy there. The Husky 372 would be an excellant choice. I believe the 372 is rated for a 28" bar. A 24" will work great on it. That is a lot of saw to work with all day, but great if you need it. For fire wood I prefer a 18" saw. My 346xp, 50cc, 18" bar, is my favorite for small stuff. My 372xp, 71cc, 24", for the larger stuff. I would defiantly keep a couple of homelites running for back up. Never go out cutting with only one saw. I will take 5 or 6 if I don't know what size wood I'm cutting. FYI a ported saw will make you grin from ear to ear when you use it.😁 It will cost you the price of another small saw to get it done but, you are saving so much $ burning firewood you can afford another saw.:happybanana: That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back