Horizontal or vertical and I’m whipped.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a highly modified splitter! Is there a build thread? Video of it in action?
It’s homemade and don’t have any videos of it in action. When I first made it, it would also trip up to split vertical for bigger rounds. After doing that for a while I had to do something different as it too hard for me personally, so I added the boom. Works great for the way I work my wood. I know a few people that would rather split vertically. Whatever works for you. I like to stand up to split

No vertical on this one anymore. I do have a 3pth vertical but have never used it. I use my tractor forks to load big rounds. I can also load my 36" splitter with the forks.

Attachments

• IMG-20130904-00501.jpg
    IMG-20130904-00501.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200412_173754.jpg
    20200412_173754.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200418_190621.jpg
    20200418_190621.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170808_181328.jpg
    IMG_20170808_181328.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
I'm in this camp too. Especially with the big ones. may change as I get older...
I have to agree with the both of you. I only noodle to get pieces into my trailer, but the big ones get split vertically. As Old CB said, sit comfortably on a short round so no bending and easier on the knees. I'm in the process of building a platform like ericm797 mentioned. It will make holding the round up against the beam.
I only have a simple homeowner splitter and no tractor.

I need to figure out a lift system for my splitter
I find it easier, less expensive and less complicated to noodle to size I can handle easily to the next step either split by hand or a horizontal splitter with a built on table . If I didn't have good noodling chainsaws, I would spend money on 1 before a splitter. The noodles are a handy by product for animal bedding, fire starter, mulch or whatever. My dad went from a splitter to noodling with an ms 180 when he was in his upper 80's. I prefer about 65 to 95 + cc for noodling and find running the chainsaws the more enjoyable part of woodcutting.

Noodling is rip-sawing, cutting with the bar parallel to the grain, which results in long spindly "noodles" rather than saw chips.
Noodling isnt ripping. Ripping is the kind of cut you do when milling - cut into the cut end face of the wood. Front of saw engine right angles to wood end face. Noodling cuts into the rounded bark covered side of the wood. Front of saw engine up against wood end face.Very different outcomes and saw cuts very differently between each.

I have this on my Countyline 40 ton unit. It works great. It's simple and easy to set up and use.

Neat contraption. Would be nice to have. I like how the 2nd piece hangs there until you're ready to split it. But most of my large rounds don't split with one stroke. I have to rotate the log 180 degrees to finish the split.

Neat contraption. Would be nice to have. I like how the 2nd piece hangs there until you're ready to split it. But most of my large rounds don't split with one stroke. I have to rotate the log 180 degrees to finish the split.
That is one of the things I really like about my countyline 40 ton splitter because it has a 10'' tall wedge so I almost never have to flip a round to finish cutting the stringy stuff.

Here's a video found over in "Scrounging". Better than the photos I posted over there to explain noodling.

His saw is running rich and chain appears to not be very sharp. Pretty sure I would get through it twice or more as fast through it, with a similar size saw.

His saw is running rich and chain appears to not be very sharp. Pretty sure I would get through it twice or more as fast through it, with a similar size saw.
I can't watch the whole video :surprised3:, then again I struggled through it in the past so...
But it illustrates well what noodling is, just not very well about how easy it is.

I really didn't watch the video, just using it as an example.
That is a good basic example, he just makes it look to slow due to lack of chainsaw maintnence.
Another thought for the inexperienced noodler, often u can stop the cut half way, more or less and give it an accurate hit with a maul to speed and easily finish the split without risking nicking the ground with your chain. I aim to cut through the worse knots so further splitting is simplified .

Since the wood fibers run lengthwise, the chain's teeth pull then right out. It's the fastest of the three cutting directions. It removes material so fast that the noodles can clump up under the clutch cover.

I solved (mostly) the jamming problem by buying a clutch coveer without the chain guard for my 441. That saw is a noodling monster with it.

I solved (mostly) the jamming problem by buying a clutch coveer without the chain guard for my 441. That saw is a noodling monster with it.
I put a cut off wheel on my grinder and lopped off the back lower section of the cover on all my noodling saws. That stops the chips from clogging up and makes that task much faster.

Latest posts

Back