Hot Blast Stove Question 1557M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..what I used last year was from my neighbors yard. We took down 6 trees, mostly cherry and had some wood prior before getting out wood burners. Wood sat outside covered/uncovered for about 2 years. I also got wood form local guy and mill cut-off blocks. So, I learned or I am learning to actually go to the place that has the wood and see it for myself as opposed to just taking their word for it.

I figure I will be learning through the seasons but I do enjoy the heat it puts out.

The other question was my liner with the "T" in it. Was hoping to get some feedback on that as to the lid on the bottom to leave on or take off to keep the creosote from accumulating in the liner thus blocking off the draft. I hate cleaning it twice a year.

How come I never hear about make up air....maybe...just maybe you do not have enough.Creating a negative pressure in the home will cause the fire to burn cooler and in turn create excessive creosote.

Wood supply this year is very good...Last year was not so good, so I made sure of that!!

So what is really the thought on the barometric dampers? Are they good or a waste of money?

The real answer is....wait for it...

read your owners manual.

Either your furnace/stove was designed to operate with it or without it.
Typically I see guys cutting corners or doing something to the install when their unit does not operate the way they think it should.

Set to the manual with a proper flue the only control you really should have is the moisture content of the wood and the species of the wood and the wood load sizes.

If through those controls you can not get your unit to do the job you have 2 choices...stand pat and live within it's means or buy a unit that will do the job.

I feel I may have been over the top,but asking someone here....although it's encouraged is just spookey.
I wonder what Pook would have said...oh ya...get a heat-a-lator.

Last edited:
How come I never hear about make up air....maybe...just maybe you do not have enough.Creating a negative pressure in the home will cause the fire to burn cooler and in turn create excessive creosote.

Well I guess it really does not take a rocket to know you dont want a 6 inch whole in your flu "T" just saying! :msp_thumbup:

Keith, make-up air is no problem in the house. I have a temp gauge on the load door of the wood burner and I can easily get it up in the "burn range" one it is going good. I never took a temp reading on the flu pipe to see what it is operating at.

Tomorrow it will be the coldest so far this year so I will be burning all day. I am going to get a stack temp gauge to see what is going on.

Keith, make-up air is no problem in the house. I have a temp gauge on the load door of the wood burner and I can easily get it up in the "burn range" one it is going good. I never took a temp reading on the flu pipe to see what it is operating at.

Tomorrow it will be the coldest so far this year so I will be burning all day. I am going to get a stack temp gauge to see what is going on.

Double ss flu your numbers are going to be good!

Well, I think I am getting the hang of this..Last night I loaded the burner up and it was still going this morning..First 8 plus hour burn.

Stack temps when running full on where 350 to 450. I dial down the barometric damper so that it would not open. I thinking this thing is useless at least in my house. The only damper I adjusted was the metal flue damper. I leave it wide open when burning and then turn it about 3/4 at night before bed with a load of wood over a bed of hot coals...This seems to be the trick in my situation to get longer burn times and keep the stack temp up.

Well, I think I am getting the hang of this..Last night I loaded the burner up and it was still going this morning..First 8 plus hour burn.

Stack temps when running full on where 350 to 450. I dial down the barometric damper so that it would not open. I thinking this thing is useless at least in my house. The only damper I adjusted was the metal flue damper. I leave it wide open when burning and then turn it about 3/4 at night before bed with a load of wood over a bed of hot coals...This seems to be the trick in my situation to get longer burn times and keep the stack temp up.

barometric damper will come in handy with high winds and very cold day. Thats when you set those up.

I am not a wood furnace expert, but I believe running the two 8" supply vents into a Y and only 8" coming out is not a good thing. I have the 1557 and I have a plennom box on top of my stove but I have a 12" line coming out of the plennum box. I believe the plennum box is better than a Y. The 12" supply line then is plumbed to my existing duct work directly above the A Coil. I am very happy with the way it is heating my home. If I can help in any way just ask.
NCH
Just curious. I have the 1557 hot blast. With 2 6" outlet for ducts. Would like to add a plenum box in place of outlets. Did you buy yours is is it made. Tia

Back