Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlmanCasey

Reaction score
I just wanted to post about converting 029 to 039 or ms290 and ms310 to ms390. I've built 7 of these in the past year. I've gotten much criticism about why to modify a homeowner saw. Simple answer it's an easy cheap conversion to do with great results for around $300 including a used saw. I've sold every one I've done to commercial tree companies in my home town. These are not a guy in a truck. Full size, legit businesses. I demonstrated the first one to the owner of Tiki Tree Service and he was shocked and surprised. Then he bought it without even negotiating. I can out cut a 044/ms440 no problem. The tree guys like the power and light weight of the saw. I've found that a 20"-25" 3/8 bar and chain combo shines the best. I've also ran 28" bars on them but then it starts getting heavy. The 1127 platform also is slightly different from most "home owner saws" with the fact you have an adjustable bar oiler. I had a guy bring me a two month old Stihl 661-c that got a tree dropped on it and guess what it totally ruined the saw. The parts alone were $880 from my local dealer. The crank case got a crack where the chain brake spring attached. The magnesium cases are great but if the get tore up your gonna spend a pile. The 1127 series can get abused and if the oil tank or chassis get damaged guess what? The motor and expensive parts are usually safe and sound tucked in with protection. So I just wanted to say a little something about the home owner versus pro saw debate. Nothing beats a Stihl pro saw period. But dollar for dollar a good 1127 with a 390 motor, pop up piston, ported muffler, timing advance and some port widening you can have a stout saw for under $500 that if done right will do everything you need and make you lots of money. .

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_131424476.jpg
    IMG_20190419_131424476.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
Back