Hot Rod Ported Polished Husqvarna 346XP Chainsaw Dirty Saw non X Torq NO EPA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this is the ad on e bay has anyone heard of or know this guy. he shows all kinds of pics and it really looks like he does a nice job and knows what he is doing. i figured i would start this thread to get this out here. the item number for this saw is 220923816192 if you go on ebay and enter the number it should come up. he has a new 562xp all done up also and the number for that one is 220923820673. here is what he wrote. what do you guys think out there.
:msp_unsure:

THESE ARE WORK SAWS! I GET THAT QUESTION A FEW TIMES A DAY. 99% OF THE SAWS I DO ARE WORK SAWS. THESE ARE MORE RELIABLE AND WILL LAST MANY TIMES LONGER THAN A STOCK SAW. I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE KEEP THINKING THESE ARE NOT GOING TO LAST. ONE PERCENT OF MY SAWS ARE FOR COMPETITION USE AND RUN NITRO METHANE, THESE RUN PREMIUM GASOLINE.

YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME FIRST TO DISCUSS PAYMENT OPTIONS. I JUST GOT THIS SAW IN AND ITS SOLD AS WELL. I WILL HAVE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE IN STOCK WITHIN A WEEK. I SOLD MY FIRST ONE LAST MONTH TO A LOGGER IN CANADA. I WILL HAVE THIS ONE DONE IN 12 DAYS OR SO AFTER I GET IT. IF YOU WANT IT BEFORE I GET IT COMPLETED I WILL STILL HAVE TIME TO BUILD TO YOUR SPECIFICATIONS. PLEASE SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS ON 346XP'S SO YOU CAN GET AN IDEA OF WHAT THIS SAW WILL LOOK LIKE AND WHAT MODIFICATIONS WILL BE DONE TO IT. THESE ARE RARE BUT I WILL HAVE ANOTHER ONE INSTOCK!!

I started porting 2 stroke Motorcross bikes about 30 years ago for a well known racing company. I was head of R&D for them for 12 years. I have continued doing engine work since then including giant scale RC aircraft engines. They are basically chainsaw engines, including inline twin and upposed 2 and 4 cylinder models, all are 2 stroke. Since Motorcross has changed over to 4 stroke engines, I do not do much for the sport now. I have been building saw engines for the last 10 years or so.

I do Husqvarna XP saws, as well as Stil pro and Dolmar Pro saws. I have done a few Echo saws and they work well modified. This saw has ceramic hybrid main bearings and a highly modified engine, with upgrades to the chassis. The crank is split and weight removed from both halves then balanced better than then come from the factory. This saw produces slightly over 5.8hp, up from the 4.7 stock rating. The intake is enlarged by 30% as well as the entire intake system port matched, from the airfilter to the cylinder. I can at your request block the saw from drawing hot air from inside the saw and only allow it to pull cool air from outside the saw. I remove the stock mixing screen in the rubber manifold because the manifold is enlarged as well as the entire intake tract is roughened to serve the brass screen's purpose. The limiters on the high and low speed jets are removed and the jets replaced one size larger. My saw's will have ZERO air leaks. The intake runners are enlarged by about 35%. I groove the transfer ports to give the charge a spiral motion and aim the charge at the intake side as to force out as much of the spent exhaust as possible. In other words I want to flow the fresh fuel/air mixture at the front of the cylinder wall to lift the exhaust gas out as completely as possible so that the only gas being pulled back in the exhaust port is fresh air/fuel, not burnt exhaust gasses. I mill around 1mm from the base of the cylinder and use a super thin base gasket to raise compression. The dome of the cylinder is polished to a mirror finish. I use SureFire V3 spark plugs. The piston is polished on the entire outer surface and the dome. Both intake and exhaust flanges are decked perfectly flat to ensure sealing. The exhaust port is enlarged by almost 45% and also polished to a mirror finish. The exhaust is port matched all the way into the hand built expansion chanber, I use 2 exhaust gaskets to insure sealing, the aluminum heat shield that seals against the exhaust port on a factory saw, gets a gasket on my saws. They are sprayed with Permatex copper sealant. Yes my saws actually have a functioning expansion chanber, instead of just adding a hole in the muffler and calling it a ported muffler. I use a 2000 degree ceramic high heat paint that will not burn off, so your muffler will not rust. I have applied for patent protection for my exhaust mufflers/ expansion chambers. I use a heat protection film under the top cover to keep the heat from the muffler from damaging the plastic top cover and keep it looking good. 3m clear film is used on all decals to keep the saw looking new.

These saws run on Royal Purple TCWIII synthetic oil at 100:1. When I do a full Ceramic bearing and ring version, including Ceramic needle bearings on both rod ends, these saws run on 150 to 200:1. Ceramic bearings are thousands of times rounder than metal bearings and therefore generate very little drag and produce almost no heat. You can put a full ceramic bearing on a dremel tool and spin it at 30,000 rpm and it never gets hot enough that you can't hold it. Do the same with a high quality steel bearing, like that come in these saws, and you have to let go after 5 seconds because it gets so hot. The saw comes with the Sugihara 18" OR 30", OR 32" bar and chain. I have 20" but they are hard nose bars.These bars are almost impossible to find anymore, but they are the finest bar ever produced. They have replaceable nose sprockets. I use a custom handle wrap that takes over 80% of the vibration out of the handle as well as making it about 30% larger. Your hand will not slip on this handle even when its raining!!

This will be the last saw you will ever buy, as long as you use the Royal Purple oil I spec and the correct ratio, and take care of your air filter. I offer 3 different Factory Husqvarna air filter choices. I have over 1000 hours on my 346 on the same ring, and its still got around a 160 some compression reading, (remember the milled cylinder base). This will be the fastest revving, hardest cutting 562 you can get your hands on, outside a full blown competition saw having a large motorcycle type expansion camber on it! My saw's come broken in with over 2 gallons of fuel through it. It has never cut wood and when you receive my saws you cant tell they were ever run. I break the engines in on a test stand not on the complete saw chassis. Believe me when I say they are ready to work when you get your saw, the engine does not want to be babied! Any question, please ask.

I am sorry but with anything modded that actually makes more power with stock or some stock parts you will get either the same life or reduced life. I have looked at his site and if I was still cutting full time I would get one of his saws just to see how long it would last and if it meets his claims. I doubt very much that the saw would live more than 2 years as a primary saw. I had a 285 that after 3 years the metal started to crystalise and crack everywhere and that saw was a deck saw and guessing maybe 6 tanks of fuel a day. CJ

His work has been critiqued a couple of times in the saw forum; porting work is suspect, performance claims are nothing remarkable, and most of what he writes is hyperbole written to awe the uninformed.

If you want a good 346, send it to Brad, Stumpy, Timberwolf, Treeslinger, Simon, Mastermind, Terry, etc...you will get a saw back that will blow the chain off of this guy's saws for a lot less money.

Heres what i asked him and what he replied seems to not want to directly answer question directly relating to performance.

Dear sidesmdfw,

do you have any cut times comparing this to a stock 346Xp would like to have some proof of it running stronger or faster maybe a video or something.

No I never had timed anything, I have cut with enought of these I know how they run and you can see and feel the difference, its night and day. Bret Wright owns the husky dealer in Newark, Wright brothers Power and is one of the largest HP dealers in the eastern US, he knows me very well and can vouch for my saws. He has seen my saws run and seen my work on the saws I buy from him.
I am currently about 3 weeks behind and have a backlog of 8 different xp saws, with 2 dolamr 7900's in there as well.
thanks,jeff

- sidesmdfw

Ask him if he re-wraps tennis racket handles on the side. Tennis handle wrap is the "custom handle wrap" pictured.

Ask him if he re-wraps tennis racket handles on the side. Tennis handle wrap is the "custom handle wrap" pictured.

I asked him about the HP claims; how the saws were tested. He said, and I quote, "I have a program on my computer." I know there are some out there, and they can be pretty predictive, but they are like any other program: garbage in, garbage out. And I don't think those on AS who use them would sell a saw and give a specific output. They would probably give a ballpark number. I would like to see his saw against the 562 Randy is working on currently.

I have seen the 346 on ebay a few times.It doesn't seem to want to sell.Don't see how it could be any better or faster than a good old woods ported one for $250.00 and under plus saw.I saw ceramic bearings mentioned and know they handle heat better but how much better on a chainsaw to balance the cost.

I have seen the 346 on ebay a few times.It doesn't seem to want to sell.Don't see how it could be any better or faster than a good old woods ported one for $250.00 and under plus saw.I saw ceramic bearings mentioned and know they handle heat better but how much better on a chainsaw to balance the cost.

I'd pass on the ceramic bearings in a work saw. My experience has been that it's just not worth the hassle.

That's better than I thought...I just thought it as handlebar wrap for bikes. I kind of like it though--makes a big difference on a road bike & I wouldn't mind raising the diameter of the one-size-fits all handlebars (a shade small in my XL gloves).

Increased compression?

I am interested in the increased compression--anyone know who is doing these saws? Is he on Arboristsite?

Compression increase is a good way to increase HP. But it comes at the cost of shortening the life of the engine, anywhere from just a little bit, to all at once (something blows out).

Still, I wouldnt mind running one and seeing what kind of life it gets. After all, cylinder metallurgy & coatings have improved over the years--maybe the Nikasil can wistand a bit "hotter" of a combustion environment than pre-nikasil cylinders.

Here's the current ad: Hot Rod Ported Polished Husqvarna 346XP Chainsaw Dirty Saw non X Torq NO EPA | eBay

Heard his name was freddie klies, also does snow machines with similar claims. knows enuff nologee to sound like he knows what he's talking about. 2nd hand info , just too coincidental . I wonder how many suckers have bought 1 of his saws.....

Back