How “rebuildable” are mid-level or modest pro-level chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe some engines are more sensitive than others. I haven't had elevation change, but I have run my saws at about 900 feet elevation from maybe 20F to 90. After initial tune, I did not ever have to change it, and I could not tell any difference other than how hard it was to start. My current saw, an MS500i, will adjust automatically.
Rest assured your saw wasn't running as it should most of the time.

I am a bit puzzled by that statement. Yes, air gets denser in cold weather but so does fuel vapor, and by an equal amount. So, it would seem that the temperature effect is the same on air and fuel, and should cancel out, unless I am missing something. In any case, I could not detect any effect in my usage. Of course, many modern saws have some form of autotune, making the whole system less sensitive to temperature, fuel type, etc. But my first 3 saws were strictly manual tune, and I did not notice a temperature effect on performance, except for an early Remington. But it had nothing to do with air/fuel ratio. It had to do with the fact that the engine and fuel tank were one casting, and in warm weather, the fuel would boil in the tank, resulting in vapor lock and an inoperable saw. At least it gave me a good excuse not to cut in hot weather!
The fuel isn't metered through the carb as a vapor...

If you have it tuned for 20F, you will be rich at 90. Not by a lot but some. If you have it tuned for 90 and run it at 20, you will be lean. (Air gets denser as it gets colder) So some of it depends how it was originally set and at what conditions.
A 70 degree swing in temps is easily enough to burn down a saw if its tuned correctly at 90 degrees.

If you're looking for a good mid-sized firewood saw or just something all purpose, it's hard to beat a Husqvarna 55. Reliable, easy to get parts for, and pretty easy to find a used one in most parts of the country.
They're also simple and easy to work on, a good choice for a person who's learning how to rebuild saws.

As far as aftermarket parts go, Stihl probably has the most support of any brand. Several models you can build from scratch without using a single OEM part. Some models can pose challenges during a rebuild though, and there has been some criticism about poor air filter setups and stingy oilers.

Research potential choices, a simple parts search on Google for any saw you're interested in will give you a good indication of how common a model is. Searching forums will let you know how popular it is.

I think the Echo 490/4910/501p saws are a good one saw plan at 50cc..... I bought some NOS 490s back in 2020 and have been slowly depleting the pile as I have time to port them for people. 2 ring piston, 20" bar (on the 490s I have), a rim sprocket from the factory, and they are monsters ported.... really can't go wrong with them.

I am a novice chainsaw guy (at 65 yrs old) I have about 20 of them. the two I use the most is an Echo CS-590 and CS-4910, I really like the 4910 its lighter than the 590 and has plenty of power for an 18" bar, when I need to go bigger I have a 24" on the 590 and a 27" on my CS-620PW, certainly can't beat an Echo for price and quality, just my 2-cents.
Also don't forget to use Red Armor Oil!

I am a novice chainsaw guy (at 65 yrs old) I have about 20 of them. the two I use the most is an Echo CS-590 and CS-4910, I really like the 4910 its lighter than the 590 and has plenty of power for an 18" bar, when I need to go bigger I have a 24" on the 590 and a 27" on my CS-620PW, certainly can't beat an Echo for price and quality, just my 2-cents.
Also don't forget to use Red Armor Oil!
I don't know squat about Echo chainsaws other than the ones I have seen look dated design wise and their dealer network is small.
I do know the guys who run lawn care business like there stuff so it must be good quality.

If you're looking for a good mid-sized firewood saw or just something all purpose, it's hard to beat a Husqvarna 55. Reliable, easy to get parts for, and pretty easy to find a used one in most parts of the country.
They're also simple and easy to work on, a good choice for a person who's learning how to rebuild saws.

As far as aftermarket parts go, Stihl probably has the most support of any brand. Several models you can build from scratch without using a single OEM part. Some models can pose challenges during a rebuild though, and there has been some criticism about poor air filter setups and stingy oilers.

Research potential choices, a simple parts search on Google for any saw you're interested in will give you a good indication of how common a model is. Searching forums will let you know how popular it is.
55 and 51 are great little saws (the two are nearly identical). I've cut hundreds of cords of wood with a 51 using 16", and 18" bars @ .325 pitch. The 55 I have has a 3/8 chain, but some did come with a 325 chain, and some even had a closed port engine (neither of mine are closed port and it doesn't matter at this level). 51 cuts much better with the 325. Going to convert the 55 to 325 chain someday. Seriously, I have never had to do any engine work on either of the two saws in the 22 + years I've owned the 51. just got the 55 about 12 years ago. Either one in excellent shape can be had for less than $300. Decent choice in a 50cc saw for sure. (y)

@MarkMac77 / Original Poster:

Sounds like you make up your mind on a particular Echo model, and may have already purchased by the time I type this. That is a good saw, as others have stated and you will probably be very well served by that saw. The 590 has a good reputation and seems to be built well with many "pro" features i.e. built more to last, easier to modify, easier to work on and to maintain and to fix if it breaks.

I was in your situation exactly about 20 years ago. Owned 1 acre, yet burned wood for heat. I went through a few plastic wonder small and cheap saws from Craigslist before I bought a great saw used at a rural hardware store/dealer. I bought a 288xp. I had no idea the tank I was purchasing, but it sold me on the merits of a pro saw vs. a rancher saw.

I like the older saws, and I especially like older pro-model saws. My experience is that if you buy a great saw now, you will enjoy it the rest of your life. If you buy a cheap homeowner saw not only will it be less fun to use each time, but it probably won't last and will cause frustration and curse words almost every time you touch it. Pro saws are more satisfying to use and run. I consider low-end saws disposable.

I made a web page for this. It has a list of very good saws on it.

I also agree, 60-65 cc is a good spot to be for good power yet not overwhelming weight.

Definitely get a smaller saw! I have a CS491 and it is far more enjoyable to use than a lunker, especially if you are scrounging firewood out of the back of a government woodlot. Much lighter, just as reliable, and will still pull a 20" chain through big wood with some care. I cut over 20 cords with it in 2021 with no problems at all. The muffler mod is worth doing for another ~5 CC or whatever - must zippier. I think it will more than meet your expectations.

That said, if you plan on bucking log decks for the next 20 years then go for it!

While i am new to chainsaws, I am not new to gas trimmers / blowers and general OPE.

Here is why I feel the Echo CS-590 is the absolute no brainer best-bang-for-buck saw:

-Compared to all other OEMs echo seems to support their stuff the longest, usually about 20 years.
-For their weight class, I picked one up and beleive it is a 50cc weight chassis with a 60cc engine.
-They give pro features in a retail priced model. Inboard clutch, full metal crankcase, nice antivibe, pro grade engine internals.
-Still has the standard adjustable carburetor.
-Echo give a lifetime warranty on the ign coil to the original owner. Keep your receipt and copy it so the thermal paper does not fade away.

While i am new to chainsaws, I am not new to gas trimmers / blowers and general ***.

Here is why I feel the Echo CS-590 is the absolute no brainer best-bang-for-buck saw:

-Compared to all other OEMs echo seems to support their stuff the longest, usually about 20 years.
-For their weight class, I picked one up and beleive it is a 50cc weight chassis with a 60cc engine.
-They give pro features in a retail priced model. Inboard clutch, full metal crankcase, nice antivibe, pro grade engine internals.
-Echo give a lifetime warranty on the ign coil to the original owner. Keep your receipt and copy it so the thermal paper does not fade away.
None of their 60cc saws weigh what a 50cc saw does, and certainly not less then their competitors.

While i am new to chainsaws, I am not new to gas trimmers / blowers and general ***.

That paper is made to fade the print away, I swear!

I jumped straight to the back because folks usually answer the questions you ask, not always some things you need to know. If you don't use it once a week, and you put it up with fuel in it, every other week start it up and run it for a few minutes. I love all of my Echo's, but they are still prone to bad gas syndrome. If you let them set more than a couple weeks the gas in the carb will start to evaporate and that leaves you with the gummy detergents and additives. My wife tells all of her friends that I'm miserable to live with if I don't run one of my saws for at least and hour a day. I have about 70, and it's really hard to keep 5-10 running. But, the ones I regularly use never have starting problems.

I’ve been lurking the forum a lot while doing chainsaw research. This is far and away the most active and knowledgeable forum I’ve found.

I’m a middle aged guy who owns a single acre. My use for a chainsaw is pretty limited, maybe processing the odd tree that falls over on my property, cutting an annual Christmas tree, and collecting a couple cords of wood via a “dead & down” permit the USFS issues.

Until now I’ve been making do with a 18V Sawzall and 18v Milwaukee 16” chainsaw. I learned a lot using the electric chainsaw over the last few years, but it has definite limitations that appear as soon as you attempt real work. For instance, a few weeks ago I hooked up the horse trailer, loaded up the ATV and dump cart and drove 120 miles to the pines to get firewood. Once there I learned that the Milwaukee batteries don’t tolerate the cold. I wasted a lot of time and fuel to only come home with a bunch of dead batteries and a half-cord of wood. I only managed the half cord by rationing my cuts, bringing home 5-6 foot lengths, and then cutting them down to size at home.

So I started looking at gas chainsaws. I ruled out the Wal-Mart bargain models. The similarly priced string trimmers and such just don’t seem to last long before suffering a mortal failure. I really hate throwing away a tool because a cheap part breaks. I DO NOT want to be repeatedly pulling a starting cord in the snow, sweating and cussing a crappy saw. Granted I can’t justify a *need* for a mid-level or modest pro-level saw in terms of wood volume, but I really want something RELIABLE, with quality hardware, that is rebuildable, where I can get a leaky crank seal replaced instead of trashing an otherwise functional tool. Also, while I may not process a lot of wood, I am diligent about ‘exercising’ my tools. So I’ll make sure it gets a few minutes of run time periodically in the off season, and gets fresh fuel and tune-ups.

I’m looking at $500ish, 59cc saws, specifically the Echo CS590. It appears to be well built, and have good replacement parts availability, with replacement top-end parts, crank bearings and crank seals only a couple clicks away.

Is this kind of the starting point for a “good reliable chainsaw” that’ll last, or do I still need to level up more to get the life and durability I’m looking for?

Note, I do all my own maintenance & repairs on my truck, tractors, ATV & dirtbike. I have good luck with bigger engines, but the small weed wacker engines just never seem to come back to life once they get a problem.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Always go for a pro saw it will last you a lifetime if you maintain it I'm still using a husqvarna 254 from the 80s still has tones of compression and always starts I've cut 21 acre's of Forrest in 22 weeks back in the day with it only getting a rest on weekends and all its ever cost is bar chain fuel and oil and the odd spark plug. It's like they say you get what you pay for buy cheap get rubbish buy good your be passing it on to the next generation.

Back