How do i know if its s good one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hey everyone i pickup up this old 028 woodboss a couple months ago as a two saw deal. I got it and a ms180c basket case for 70 bucks. Me not knowing anything about older saws and it being in one piece decided to tackle it first. I found that I was having and intermittent spark issue as it would bustoff but only run for a couple seconds then die and through my research this is common with the stock points setup and is as simple as either adding a ignition module or replacement of the coil to a digital one, no biggie. So it got pushed aside and as for the 180 I simply put the damn thing together splash it with gas and boom its a runner and I use it quite a bit and the thing just won't die as its now highly modified running alcohol and spinning nearly 19000 rpm. Sry I'm kinda dragging this on. So last night I realized I could make one of my spare coils work on this 028 and it fired right up lol. I've seen nothing but good about these saws but sm just looking to some of the older gentlemen that maybe have ran or still do professionally to hear what really makes a good 028 a great one. Yea its not the cleanest one but it has tons of compression and is mechanically solid. I haven't hit any wood yet but I'm not far from it. Oh and I feel I got a decent deal here idk whats yalls thoughts is this worth 50 bucks?

Attachments

• 16401917498322088113084072291820.jpg
    16401917498322088113084072291820.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 1640192664819297311507607295720.jpg
    1640192664819297311507607295720.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
Hey everyone i pickup up this old 028 woodboss a couple months ago as a two saw deal. I got it and a ms180c basket case for 70 bucks. Me not knowing anything about older saws and it being in one piece decided to tackle it first. I found that I was having and intermittent spark issue as it would bustoff but only run for a couple seconds then die and through my research this is common with the stock points setup and is as simple as either adding a ignition module or replacement of the coil to a digital one, no biggie. So it got pushed aside and as for the 180 I simply put the damn thing together splash it with gas and boom its a runner and I use it quite a bit and the thing just won't die as its now highly modified running alcohol and spinning nearly 19000 rpm. Sry I'm kinda dragging this on. So last night I realized I could make one of my spare coils work on this 028 and it fired right up lol. I've seen nothing but good about these saws but sm just looking to some of the older gentlemen that maybe have ran or still do professionally to hear what really makes a good 028 a great one. Yea its not the cleanest one but it has tons of compression and is mechanically solid. I haven't hit any wood yet but I'm not far from it. Oh and I feel I got a decent deal here idk whats yalls thoughts is this worth 50 bucks?
Looks like I got a fancy show piece for now as it needs crank seals pretty bad. Bearing are fine 0 movement but seals dried out no biggie and it dose sound like a strong runner so thats a plus.

Latest posts

Back