How do know you if your chainsaw chain is tightened properly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This subject drives me mad. My chains do NOT stay tight. I have tried everything I know. This is multiple saws and two of them are pretty new and the bars are not worn, they're not that old at all. Chain tension doesn't last anything close to as long as what you are saying above. I use mostly Stihl chains and I am mostly speaking of 60-80 cc Stihl saws that I have been using lately. I am talking bucking big oak logs, 20" to 36" diameter. I will say that a problem is dirt/sand on the underside of the logs, if that matters.

I bet I don't get 30 minutes of cutting without tightening the chain. Run out of gas by then anyway and it's time to fill and also tighten it up.

It's not unusual in cold weather for a chain to be adjusted properly when cold and then be loose when it is warms up.

I've heard of but never has happened to me......that a chain that is tightened up when warm may contract when cold and bend the crankshaft. Maybe an urban myth.

Take a sharpie and mark the bar. You need to know if it is temperature changes or if your bar is really moving in and making the chain loose. It isn't always the chain wearing and stretching.

Make sure that all mating parts of the bar and mating surfaces are totally clean next time you disassemble. It is usually a well lubed area from bar lube.

Fwiw, I’m running very short bars - 13” on 40-50cc Husqvarnas, 16” on the 5100, and 16” on 70cc saws. Maybe the shorter bar thing factors into my experience with minimal chain stretch versus yours?
That does make a big difference.

The question may sound a bit newbish, but I really want to know how you guys make sure your chainsaw chain is properly tightened or not.

Hit me with your favorite METHOD!

Also, It would be COOL if you give me some advice on how I can keep my chain tight for longer.
Happy sawing! 🪵:chop:
As a rule I grab chain in middle of the bar and lift it slightly up you should be able to lift it a certain amount without the drive link coming out the bar and it should also spin freely round the bar. Not sure any advice on keeping it tight for longer only thing I can think of is let the saw do the work and try not to force it through the wood to much

The question may sound a bit newbish, but I really want to know how you guys make sure your chainsaw chain is properly tightened or not.

Hit me with your favorite METHOD!

Also, It would be COOL if you give me some advice on how I can keep my chain tight for longer.
Happy sawing! 🪵:chop:
Bar tip up and good quality chain aside, longer chains require greater tension and my even need to be tensioned while hot. After spending an August cutting 22 foot slabs of oak that ranged from 30-42" at the base, I know that running loose chains will actually wear more on the bar. You will see this with hammer marks where the chain slaps back in the groove and bounces after rounding the sprockets on both ends. Of course, you have to loosen the chain when you are done using, because the longer chains have to be tightened too much after warming up to let them contract and tension the sprockets and crankshaft.

Back