How do you recrotch with SRT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Anon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you wanted to climb to the top of a tall conifer and couldn't set a tie in at the top, how do you advance your SRT tie in? Take some throw line and a light weight? Use a monkeyfist and toss it up a few branches at a time?

Yep. That is two of three methods I know of.

Consider using a pole pruner to advance your monkey fist. It's far more accurate than tossing, although possibly slower. I set a line that way today, in fact. I forgot to bring the throw ball, and the tree was too tight to reliably throw a wad of rope through the branches.

Why is it that you cannot set your SRT with a throwball?

Yep. That is two of three methods I know of.

Consider using a pole pruner to advance your monkey fist. It's far more accurate than tossing, although possibly slower. I set a line that way today, in fact. I forgot to bring the throw ball, and the tree was too tight to reliably throw a wad of rope through the branches.

Why is it that you cannot set your SRT with a throwball?
Well I climb some very tall conifers where setting a canopy anchor at the top with s big shot and throw bag isn't always possible so I was looking for some creative alternatives other than recrotching 10 feet at a time to get up there without gaffs. I was even thinking maybe a little slingshot with some throw line, like a miniature in-tree version of a big shot.

I bought a dog ball launcher built for tennis balls for those shots not worthy of the big shot. It has mostly been a disappointment, even with the lighter throwballs. Plenty accurate, but not much height. It would be a tangly mess to keep on you while climbing.

Back