How Does Dirt Dull a Chainsaw Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try observing two teenagers for one season binding & burning up bars & chains , by not understanding proper cutting techniques for compression & tension bound logs , pretty well endorses my theory . I round / square goofy file & grind over 25-30 saw chains a week . Pretty easy to identify abused chain causation . Twisted & stretched sideplates & tweaked bars are rather obvious , compared to rocked working edge & point . lol.

Well sure.
But your remark was about differences in cutting tension vs compression wood, not operator abuse.

Actually by the 80's the practice was pretty much over by professionals. What Del was hitting is stuff my Dad and Grand Father put in. It all wasn't just poured in either. Back in the 60's and 70's we were taking down trees that my Grand Father filled. Some cavities were 6' high and 2-3' wide. He would press forms into the concrete to make 4"X4" blocks, then put a layer of thin expansion joint material on top, and form the next row. The formed blocks were staggered and would look like brick work. They would let that "Set", then come back and pump or pour thin concrete in through a hole left at the top, to back fill the cavity. Finally they would make the last square at the top. In 1907 55 tons of cement were put into the Maryland Liberty Tree on St. Johns Campus. When I was at the UofMD in the 70's their Liberty Tree was still standing. Growing up in the tree business I was scared to death to walk under it. It had chunks of concrete in it the size of a VW bug. Click on the sentence below for Liberty info.
http://www.mcbridegallery.com/liber...iberty Tree, a tulip,critic of the Stamp Act.
55 tons of cement!

Well sure.
But your remark was about differences in cutting tension vs compression wood, not operator abuse.
No , actually i was indicating that improper cutting of logs or trees in a compression position , until the chain binds was my indication of operator error & abuse . Almost every rookie wood cutter encounters the downside of such a practice early on . However few understand how it can damage the chains life cycle ! P.S. Cutting logs or trees in a tension position most likely will not ever damage a chain , although the same cannot be said for an unknowledgible operator . Any chain damage is considered operator abuse in my eyes much the same as straight gassing a saw , blatant neglect brother lol.

Have you ever welded up track rollers/idlers for a crawler? Many will not do it anymore
Hi Bill, I once had a D8U2 and broke the upper support Idler off from the Carriage. My Brother in-law is a welder and he stick/ ARC weld it back on... but I don't remember the type of rod.... I think it was called Train Rod is what he called it. Anyway, vee out the crack and laid in 1/2 weld around it, never had another problem with it. My Dad had a couple HD5 Cats which are in same size as TD9 and he tore off the whole right carriage... his friend Johnny Beck (also welder) repaired the carriage. Also, Dad never had another issue with it and he's hard on equipment. Good luck so I know it can be done. I know Eric my bother in-law laid in the weld really hot with gas drive welder!

Attachments

• Dad D82U.jpg
    Dad D82U.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
...my bother in-law...

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

C'mon now. He isn't that bad, is he?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

C'mon now. He isn't that bad, is he?
LOL, ..I would have my BIL weld any machine up for me since he has welded in the high pressure oil fields and oil refineries for more than 20 years, holds a slew of tickets and now welds on navy war ships. He made inspector just last year but continues to weld on site as that is his real passion.

View attachment 1057297
Cutting into dirt dulls a chainsaw chain” - I know that. ( In fact, I've lost 4 of my chainsaw chains this way!)

But I'm curious to know the SCIENCE behind it.

Dirt is soft, wood is much HARDER, then how come dirt dulls a chainsaw chain (almost) INSTANTLY?

This question might sound a bit “newbish 🐸,” but I'm sure there're some people here who want to know the same.

So, if you know the answer, HIT ME with it!

Also, any tips on how to prevent a chainsaw from hitting the dirt would be appreciated!

Happy Sawing! 🙂
Dirt is like an abrasive like someone taking sandpaper to your chain it's made up of tiny particles of stone rock and other abrasive minerals so it's actually tougher than wood

How does dirt dull a chainsaw? The same way minerals (dirt) in a grinding wheel sharpen a chainsaw!

Many soils have sand in them (sand is silica = quartz). Sand (silica/quartz) is harder than glass.

iu

It’s not so much the dirt per se but the rocks grit and pebbles embedded in the dirt. A chain will dull immediately on gravel and rock and eventually in pure potters clay.
A dull chain will still cut you in half.
A dull chain is more dangerous than a sharp chain for sure. Both will do a lot of damage in a split second, and if its dull and being pushed hard, it's over before you know it

Back