How does it work for dealers getting new saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is not a complaint, more a series of questions as I am unfamiliar with saw supplier chain logistics.

I’ve stopped in to talk to 6 different dealers within 100 miles asking about the Stihl 400, and every one of them told me there’s no such thing. I mentioned the product release and that it’s showing up in lower Michigan and elsewhere and they just sort of look at me funny.

do new saws like this only go to high volume dealers at first, is it luck of the draw, or do dealers generally just not notice product releases, or something else all together?

is it reliant upon having a good supplier rep and a well informed dealer combination, or how does it work?

If I press them can I ask that they make some calls to order one, or do they really have no option as they say it’s not showing up in their system?

Thank you

There are different tiers of Stihl dealers too. The basic dealers stock a bunch of homeowner stuff and then maybe a couple pro saws like a 261 and 461. A few years back I tried to get a couple of them to order a 241 for me and each of adamantly stated that no such model existed. “You want the 251...we have those in stock.

Finally went to a real saw shop which was their top of the line designated shop and bought one of the 241’s they had on the shelf. They spun loops of PS chain for me too.

It’s possible you just ended up with a bunch of people who didn’t know any better. They honestly should be aware of the press releases and be able to advise you when they would be available for sake.

Latest posts

Back