How I exactly sharpen chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

kentuckykid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just watch a Buckin Billy Ray video on YouTube. He posts a video on filing about every six months.
It makes sense and this is how fallers out here would sharpen. A grind cuts amazing, but when your deep in the woods, starting the day at the bottom of the valleys, and time is money, it’s kind of hard to grind. So, chains would all get filed with this method to be prepped for quick touch ups in the woods.
It’s awesome to see the old tried and true methods getting taught, posted, and communicated. Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel, but in a lot of cases, folks figured out the best way of doing things a long time ago. But corporate America can’t make money unless they keep “improving” and selling.
Keep spreading the knowledge. 👍🏻
Great advice, I’ve learned a lot watching bucking bill on you tube, he is most pationate bucker ivevever seen!!! I like his videos, “friend”

Cogito

Cogito ergo sum
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will summarize this:

1. Use the correct size file
2. File til sharp
3. Lower rakers if needed.

A-hem.... Nothing to see here.

This is what most everybody does. Duh!

Rim sprocket swap (the bigger is better theme)? If that gives you the fizz, then good for you.
The larger sprocket would help take up the slack of the chain stretching?

davidwyby

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading back thru this thread, thinking about the 1/4" file on 3/8" and the Hexa file with one smooth side on the bottom.

I have a bunch of 1/4" files. I was thinking about grinding or belt sanding a flat on one side that rides in the bottom of the cutter/gullet and sets the height of the file to the desired amount of hook.