How I love quality (ID this crankcase)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link

Gone fishing
Reaction score
I just got this in my mail. Sweet! ...came complete with bearings mounted, screws and even the oil tank cap. Only things I need is a gasket set and crank seals.

How I love quality, you able to guess what engine crankcase/frame this is?
RIMG0303.JPGRIMG0305.JPGRIMG0304.JPG

How much, if I may ask?

I bought it from a web shop, but here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174011799533Cylinder I will be using is also New West, very nice. 54mm 82,5ccm Nikasil.
It has the same exhaust port as a 52mm - too small and curved, but its so nice I consider using it as it is.
If you do some simple modest calculation towards a 52mm at 4,4kw - that's 4,75kw just by the displacement.
You make that exhaust port flat like the 372 and at 20-22% of the cylinder perimeter - you got yourself a 500 competitor.
Might want to modify those piston rings that 1/2" inch in the middle of the exhaust so that they dont peel off the plating.

Outta curiosity, why buy oem cases and then use an a/m crank, cylinder, etc?
Well, I could buy the OEM crankcase, OEM crankshaft, OEM 52mm Cylinder/piston kit, and an OEM carburetor.
But it would probably fall out of reason if I could just buy a 500i for the same cost instead.

I just love building my own saws from scratch, and I would prefer an old proven saw design with multiple parts availability both OEM and aftermarket. It means I can service, maintain and keep it running myself for as long as I live.
Eventually, I know that saw better than the service guy at the candy shop.
The OEM crankcase makes a good starting point and a reason to put all my love in to it, I get carefully selected parts from all around the world that I know will make a good saw. I dont care if it doesnt say "made in Germany" if I know its a good part.
There are also some other OEM parts I prefer to use, like clutch springs and chain adjuster gears and bar studs and such - basically what I know from experience might not hold water in a kit. I also look out for OEM parts that are not expensive, some of the smaller parts and details on older Stihl saws are surprisingly affordable. The postal/freight and customs fee is expensive though so I try to fill it up...

Go have a look:
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ms460-magnumRIMG0307.JPG RIMG0308.JPG
There is nothing like shocking to life a saw you build yourself from scratch.

I have a complete OEM ms460 90percent completed, Meteor top end kit ready to install, I'm down to small parts like chain brake springs and clips and handle, inner cover for the pull start various rubber isolaters and such. Life has been hectic but it's time to finish it up!
Its just an evening, but you need to be motivated, have the excess energy and motivation to make it proper, it needs to be the right time to do it, else it wont be good.
It don't run away, you have all the time in the world - that's how I see it. All in good time.
Ah how that first fire up is gonna fuel your soul like nothing else, satisfaction.
So, 23, shes married yet? I'm a pretty handsome guy... :innocent::guitar:

Never bought a new saw in my life, that's too easy. My first frankin saw was an 064, still runs today. I started with an old crankcase left to me by a friend who has passed.
I could buy a 500i, it would sit on the shelf like a proper shelf queen. Then I would sell it because I could not afford it just sitting there for most of the year. Making a saw is something completely different, lots of interesting fun time other than just the casual milling, I could never sell it. Its my child... that's how it is.

Back