How Important Is the Chain Catcher In a Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
chain catcher.jpg
Some may notice there is a small part under the chain in modern chainsaws. It is a safety feature called chain catcher.
企业微信截图_16582977933660.png
What is it?
This small metal part is a kind of safety feature, called a chain catcher. In some modern chainsaws, the chain catcher comes in aluminum or plastic and is fixed by a rivet or integrated with the clutch cover. While in some old chainsaws, there is a small roller that comes as the chain catcher, or there is just no such safety feature.

What is it used for?
We all know the chain runs at about 100 miles an hour around the guide bar on typical chainsaws, especially it can run up to 14,000 RPMs (Rotate Per Minute) on some big pro chainsaws. Therefore, the chain will have a strong tendency to run in a circle.
But when the chain sits on the guide bar with improper tension and runs at such a fast speed, the chain may come off the bar with the spinning momentum to hurt your leg. If there is a chain catcher on your chainsaw, it would stop the spinning chain and protect you from being injured.

Why do you need the chain catcher?
Even if the chain catcher looks tiny, it plays a crucial role in personal security. If you are using an old chainsaw without a chain catcher alone in the wild and get cut on the leg, it could be very catastrophic to you because you may die because of the lack of a small safety feature.
The chain catcher can not prevent all accidents from happening but protect you from the worst, so it also matters to use a chainsaw correctly: How to use a chainsaw safely.

Note
If the chain catcher is worn or bent, you’d better replace it. It takes only $4 or $5 but may save you and your family.

...chain runs at about 100 miles an hour around the guide bar on typical chainsaws, especially it can run up to 14,000 RPMs (Rotate Per Minute)...
if the CHAIN was going around the bar at 14000 rpm.... stand back !!! Does anyone actually proof these 'tech' postings?
Out of the cut the engine can spin north if 12,000. There is no gear reduction so chain is spinning that fast too…

...chain runs at about 100 miles an hour around the guide bar on typical chainsaws, especially it can run up to 14,000 RPMs (Rotate Per Minute)...
if the CHAIN was going around the bar at 14000 rpm.... stand back !!! Does anyone actually proof these 'tech' postings?

Evident no proof checking is being done.

Engine rpm and chain around the bar rpm are the result of the sprocket tooth count to the chain drive tang count ratio.

A seven toothed sprocket on a 72 drive tang chain has a ratio of 7/72 meaning that the chain goes around the bar approximately once for every 10 engine revolutions.

View attachment 1011810
Some may notice there is a small part under the chain in modern chainsaws. It is a safety feature called chain catcher.
View attachment 1011808
What is it?
This small metal part is a kind of safety feature, called a chain catcher. In some modern chainsaws, the chain catcher comes in aluminum or plastic and is fixed by a rivet or integrated with the clutch cover. While in some old chainsaws, there is a small roller that comes as the chain catcher, or there is just no such safety feature.

What is it used for?
We all know the chain runs at about 100 miles an hour around the guide bar on typical chainsaws, especially it can run up to 14,000 RPMs (Rotate Per Minute) on some big pro chainsaws. Therefore, the chain will have a strong tendency to run in a circle.
But when the chain sits on the guide bar with improper tension and runs at such a fast speed, the chain may come off the bar with the spinning momentum to hurt your leg. If there is a chain catcher on your chainsaw, it would stop the spinning chain and protect you from being injured.

Why do you need the chain catcher?
Even if the chain catcher looks tiny, it plays a crucial role in personal security. If you are using an old chainsaw without a chain catcher alone in the wild and get cut on the leg, it could be very catastrophic to you because you may die because of the lack of a small safety feature.
The chain catcher can not prevent all accidents from happening but protect you from the worst, so it also matters to use a chainsaw correctly: How to use a chainsaw safely.

Note
If the chain catcher is worn or bent, you’d better replace it. It takes only $4 or $5 but may save you and your family.
Also important is the wide HAND GUARD ON BOTTOM of rear handle. ANOTHER IS BODY POSITION: I believe and Teach to turn sideways to saw, stand beside it, NOT inline w/ bar/chain. Son was bucking one day, straddle, feet spread, I told him to not move and kill the saw. He did, and then started to argue "but Dad, I am left handed".. I said "No, look at your body, and where the chain will hit if it gets thrown back off the bar"... and he looked down at his crotch and stepped aside.

i only remember the chain coming off my first echo a few times. when i was 16. i'm glad i had it, especially when doing brush. i know my current stihl is all beat up. i dont rember throwing a chain on it, except when the sprocket blows out/

Back