How Long Does a Chainsaw Chain Stay Sharp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old and work alone or with my wife, I sharpen after I get home and stack my days load of split wood. If I hit a rock or barbed wire in the woods. I use the spare saw for the rest of the day. If I hit something with THAT one, I go home. Mostly 044 24" blade, I carry a spare chain on a bar, but can't remember the last time I changed to one in the woods.
When doing volunteer storm clean up which is often all sawing, all day, I sharpen at lunch also. I use stihl stones in a Dremel. If there are other volunteer "sawyers" I pretend I don't have my sharpening tools with me, cuz sharpening their chains is all I'd be doing. And they'd ruin my Stihl stones faster than they sharpen chains.

Let's say it's a SUNNY day 🌞 , and you're out in your yard. Your chainsaw chain is sharp and ready to cut off those logs. You start cutting through wood without any BREAK!

Now, here's what I want to know: 👇

How long does your chainsaw chain stay sharp? Or in other words, How often do you usually sharpen your chain? (hours or number of cuts or days)?

👉 Actually, I'm writing an article about chainsaws, so I just wanted to get some insight into how long a chain stay sharp.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers! :)

I'm writing an article about people who write articles about chainsaws!

But I don't much about writing. :)

I'm writing an article about people who write articles about chainsaws!

But I don't much about writing. :)
Don't know much about the subject matter, but want to look important and knowledgeable...... who can I plagiarise! :dancing:

Let's say it's a SUNNY day 🌞 , and you're out in your yard. Your chainsaw chain is sharp and ready to cut off those logs. You start cutting through wood without any BREAK!

How long does your chainsaw chain stay sharp? Or in other words, How often do you usually sharpen your chain? (hours or number of cuts or days)?

👉 Actually, I'm writing an article about chainsaws, so I just wanted to get some insight into how long a chain stay sharp.

Thanks in advance!

Bark ON, 12-16" logs, pine/ oak, (MY EXPERIENCE MILLING) says resharpen/ touchup after 12+/-feet with round file= more acute angle. Bench grinder= less acute= stronger, slightly slower maybe, but 20-24-ft. i GENERALLY HAND FILE TOUCH UP 3-4 TIMES, then switch chains. Bench grind all at night. Your mileage may vary. Bark may contain dirt/ sand

I wish I could find that YT video (I first saw it here) of the guys using a chainsaw that was so dull that it looked like it was gonna set the wood on fire...it was creating so much smoke just from friction that it looked like it was gonna catch on fire ...that was epic.

Thanks in advance!

Highly variable. But I normally touch up my chain after 2-3 tanks of fuel, or about 1.5 hours. I cut hardwoods such as hickory, oak, cherry, ash, walnut and beech. My logs have some dirt as I drag them out of the woods before cutting.

Also depends on the type of cutter. Semi-chisel holds up better than full chisel or square ground in dirty wood.
Semi-chisel has a somewhat rounded cutter while full chisel and square ground have a pointed cutter. When the point gets dull, cutting efficiency is greatly reduced.
View attachment 1055014
This is conventional wisdom. But in my experience, a slightly dull full chisel chain still cuts faster than a sharp semi-chisel. Not worth using a semi-chisel for me. It takes me only 5 minutes to hand file a chain in the field. Even if I have to do it twice as often, I still cut more wood per unit time with a full chisel

This is conventional wisdom. But in my experience, a slightly dull full chisel chain still cuts faster than a sharp semi-chisel. Not worth using a semi-chisel for me. It takes me only 5 minutes to hand file a chain in the field. Even if I have to do it twice as often, I still cut more wood per unit time with a full chisel
To each his own. From personal experience, I stand by my post.

Latest posts

Back