How many of y’all are using metal detectors before milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry sorry didn’t mean to compare you to us peasants out here with our pathetic little chainsaws. Lol that thing is awesome. I can’t wait till I can afford land and a real shop

Yup. Livin' the dream, here! In fact, I use a friend's place for my mill. His buildings, his electricity, his skid steer. The deal is that everything I mill for him is free.

Thats another reason I don't like to rip through wood to fast. The slower you cut the more chance you can feel and hear the saw hitting something and you have a better chance of doing less damage to your chain.
If you feel it or hear it, the damage is already done. :-(
I use a Red Barron SB5 metal detector. Inexpensive and will pick up/locate a tack if it's there. :cool: OT

If you feel it or hear it, the damage is already done. :-(
I use a Red Barron SG5 detector. Inexpensive and will pick up/locate a tack if it's there. :cool: OT
Not true if you cut slow enough. I have saved many a chain that way. Been there done that.
As for metal detectors, they have a limited depth range so it all depends on how big and how deep the metal is.

Not true if you cut slow enough. I have saved many a chain that way. Been there done that.
As for metal detectors, they have a limited depth range so it all depends on how big and how deep the metal is.
To each his own. My RB5 will penetrate a 25" log. Ground penetration is 3'.
I first started using the RB5 years ago when I started with the WM LT40 and tested it on a 20" log holding a railroad spike beneath the log. It picked it up instantly. It works for me. jmho :cool: OTRed Baron SB5.jpg

A metal detector is very useful but I've had much more serious chain damage from things that a metal detector simply won't pick up. eg glass, rocks like blue metal, concrete, brick, and even an electrical ceramic insulator. Things like old nails and bolts my chains cut straight thru and all that's needed is a chain touch up . Even the time I forgot to fully tighten up the tensile steel bolts that clamped my little alaskan to the CS bar wasn't really a problem - the chain managed to chew half way through one of the bolts before I noticed it was slowing in the cut. There was relatively little damage probably because it was a slow ingress into the side of the bolt. More damaging are things like Tek Screws especially if they are encountered during a fast cut.

Back