How many of you are running Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, 500i w/ a bark box. 25 inch sugi bar - the stihl lite bar doesn’t seem to oil as well and wobbled in the cut, I assume it has a little more flex than a regular bar. Doesn’t happen with the sugi.

Ah, fuel injected which I would rather avoid, its only an excuse for a fuel injection system, low pressure,
too sore on fuel, too hard to start if you run out. I see no need for such a system on a simple tool. Other
manufacturers can manage with a simple carb that people can easily fix and clean. I have an aversion to
complicating things that don't need it.
My latest mig welder purchase was not one of those inverters with all the bells and whistles, it was an
I.N.E / Italian made transformer based 300 amp machine with a proven track record, that I can fix myself,
the control card costs 180 to replace if it gives trouble, I can also fit a control module from any other transformer
based model of the correct voltage, or buy another separate wire feeder with its very own card,
thought why take a gamble and spend a lot more when I can get a cheaper /3400 euro tool that will be easier to
deal with if I ever need to and more dependable too, proven tech is where it is for me, like our well over 40 year old
STIHL 041 that still works, now that's tech that worked.

So I guess I do have a Stihl.

I bought a 500i last week.
I've run two tanks of fuel through it.
So not a lot to say as yet..
I get what Whinbush is saying, post #9.
I bought this saw because of hard hot starts with the other saws. I'm not a mechanic of any sorts, and bought this saw to avoid the issues I'm having with the other saws when hot out. In short, to simplify things.
As I said, have not run it enough to say much.
Thanks for your replys.
I do have one question.
When the saw is warmed up, do you still use the primer bulb each start?

I bought a 500i last week.
I've run two tanks of fuel through it.
So not a lot to say as yet..
I get what Whinbush is saying, post #9.
I bought this saw because of hard hot starts with the other saws. I'm not a mechanic of any sorts, and bought this saw to avoid the issues I'm having with the other saws when hot out. In short, to simplify things.
As I said, have not run it enough to say much.
Thanks for your replys.
I do have one question.
When the saw is warmed up, do you still use the primer bulb each start?

I do not own a 500i. I recently watched a few YTube vids of a pro crew putting one through its paces for days. They made a point of showing the saw restarting without prime when warm. Wish I could direct you to the correct vids. I'm not sure if that method is recommended? It was working for them.

I got one...haven't had a lot of jobs lately, so I haven't run it much since buying it.

What I have run it so far though, I like it. Starts easy, revs extremely fast, has good power, light and nimble. I'm sure it's going to be a falling beast.

A buddy got one, he said it is d@mn near the only saw he uses now, and he has plenty of ported saws. Ya know it's #1 feature in his eyes? 1 pull. That's all it takes to start it hot or cold for him. He said it's a bit piggy on fuel, but it is always one pull and you're cutting.

A buddy got one, he said it is d@mn near the only saw he uses now, and he has plenty of ported saws. Ya know it's #1 feature in his eyes? 1 pull. That's all it takes to start it hot or cold for him. He said it's a bit piggy on fuel, but it is always one pull and you're cutting.
lucky...mine still takes 3ish cold. Warm is 1 every time though so far...

I cut a little different than most, using two manual log decks with sacrificial cutting benches on the front of each, with the splitter in-between.
Which means I cut two logs, five cuts each, and shut the saw off to split.
Splitter and conveyor run.
Lots of start/stop for the saws. Lots, and lots...
500i. Two tanks of fuel for a cord. I did not run to empty before refueling however.
(older photo, the flatbed truck is gone, and I only keep mixed gas for saws on the nursery wagon now, so no chance of straight gasing a saw)
58800488096__E06709CF-DEB3-4DC2-857E-331E65246B96.jpg

Latest posts

Back