How many of you are running Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally like my 355t.... it's a bit heavy, but that's kind of how Echo rolls. I don't think it's the best saw for canopy work, but for the price difference, I think the Echo competes for those of us that don't climb professionally.

Starts very easily in the tree, cuts fine for my needs but it's not a super power house, no issues so far.
I did a couple small modifications to the airbox and a small muff mod and it did wake it up a bit. Also needed some tuning out of the box.
What airbox mods did you do? I was wondering about that baffle plate in front of the carb. I had to retune after the muff mod, still running a little rich; don't have any bad things to say about the saw, just haven't had it that long. I am not in the zone to port my saws.

New fuel, no issues so far yesterday.
Rain squall rolling through this morning.
Cleaned up a mess from late yesterday earlier this morning and started double stacking full pallets. Hope to get on the saws again in an hour or two.
I used a pallet on the PackFix that had dry rot. When I lifted the pallet the top boards broke and the load laid over across the turn table. Tried to get another year out of some of the pallets, culled out others to be cut up.
The other fill drum is full. some of the board on that one have broken from the first splits falling off the conveyor. Going to be hard to get forks in that one to get it off the machine. Fifty or sixty pallets a year get scrapped.

You've never cut with a ms 192/3 if you're saying the echo isn't a power house lol. Buddy just bought a 355t(I think that's the model) besides weight it's way nicer then my 192tc. Better power, starts super easy. Wish I had an excuse to buy one over my stihl.
haha, no, I'm comparing them to a 200t/201t. I never ran a 192

I only cut with the 200 for a little bit, but it was definitely more powerful. I just don't climb enough to warrant the price over the 355. I think the 355 is perfect for my uses.

What airbox mods did you do? I was wondering about that baffle plate in front of the carb. I had to retune after the muff mod, still running a little rich; don't have any bad things to say about the saw, just haven't had it that long. I am not in the zone to port my saws.

I tried to remove that baffle, but you end up with a LOT of fuel on the filter from spit back without that. I removed a ridge that was below that baffle and adjusted the shape of that baffle to allow for a straighter air path to the carb. It's been a few years since I've done it. I don't recall exactly. I can take a look if I get some time.

I tried to remove that baffle, but you end up with a LOT of fuel on the filter from spit back without that. I removed a ridge that was below that baffle and adjusted the shape of that baffle to allow for a straighter air path to the carb. It's been a few years since I've done it. I don't recall exactly. I can take a look if I get some time.
Yeah that spit back sounds like a problem. Shoot a picture of the work if you don't mind. I would appreciate the time.

I bought a 500i last week.
I do have one question.
When the saw is warmed up, do you still use the primer bulb each start?
The manual would have you to believe you need to pump it 8 times just like a cold start. I find one pump is usually sufficient if it hasn't sat long. It will let you know by not starting on the first pull that it wants more.

If you are experiencing difficulty with cold starts, I and others that use the Decomp have found the Decomp to be stiff and doesn't always close when cold with each pull of the rope.

Ron

Fuel makes a huge difference, people here stick to certain outlets as they
have had bad experiences with others, something your saw will let know soon enough.

Are you running the same oil ratio all along.

Having used primarily Husky's for several years, I had forgotten the small rub I have with Stihl.
Which is the case guard design around the bar oil, and also the fuel area.
Husky is pretty flat and easy to clean prior to removing the cap. Wipe it clean with a tooth brush, partial turn of the cap and repeat with tooth brush. Done.
With Stihl same procedure, however, there is always chips and crud around the cap rims when removed that needs wiped out carefully with a finger. With the fuel slight overfilling flushes it away, but I intensionally try not to overfill. With the oil tank there is always a chance of a chip or grit getting in the tank.

I had an 042 as a single saw for years. Then added ab 021 for small stuff. It, the 021, is over twenty years old. The 042 was 25 years old when replaced with the 357xp, now 12 years old. Hmm. The years are adding up!

A plus about Stihl for non mechanics like me, is that there are dealers/shops about everywhere.

I'm pretty sure Whinbush was right on my part. Either fuel issues or operator error. Probably both, and I really did not need the 500i.
The 661 and 357 are for sale, and the 562xp, 500i, and 021 stay. I simply don't use the 661 enough except for occasional noodling since I sold the TW-6 splitter and went back to purchasing 100" length log loads. The 500i replaces both the 661/357xp slot.

Back to cutting/splitting.
Thanks for all the input on this thread. Crane

Stihl only
Cut for my own firewood and some community help out, about 6-10 cords a year.
I run an MS291(55cc) with an 18" bar and a 044 (72cc) Magnum with 18" and 28" bars
Wouldn't be against getting a smaller saw for trimming and doing small stuff.
I also have an electric lithium ion pole saw(10" bar) and a 12" Dewalt electric lithium ion chainsaw, mostly for using around the seniors and kids homes during clean-ups as to be less noisy.

Yup, 500i w/ a bark box. 25 inch sugi bar - the stihl lite bar doesn’t seem to oil as well and wobbled in the cut, I assume it has a little more flex than a regular bar. Doesn’t happen with the sugi.
This is strange I read the exact opposite as well

I was never impressed with Stihl . Those bark boxes flat out hurt my ears . I rode motorcycles and chainsaws for decades . All I heard was take buffles out get more power . From my butt the power drop bad . Just because it makes a lot noise has nothing to do with power . I ran my operation for over 30 years with a Husqvarna . I did less than 10 years with Stihl . I was in pickle I need stuff to run . I really didn't this stuff to shack apart . There was a old man back then running a small Husqvarna he was producing firewood like a boss . My Stihls would need the bolts tighten every truck load I put lock tight of every kind . I n 1987 I bought a Husqvarna 50 I was never so happy . When I needed to work it did . No more shack apart . I was cutting like that old man I was sending truck loads out at a great pace . You can buy any brand that makes you happy . About my last straw was a Stihl string trimmer a 45 something the flywheel key was broke . You could not buy the key you had to buy over a 50 dollar new flywheel. I was done before now I am really done with this company . I think my Husqvarna weed wacker is well over 20 years old it just starts and runs .

I’ve owned lotsa saws.I only really get husky or stihl. Normally I prefer husky but I have 4 stihls currently. 200t just because it’s kind of a shelf queen, 194t, 066 and a mastermind 500i. I never ran it stock I had it ported before I even got it. It is just insane by far the best saw I ever ran hands down. It does seem thirsty but for the performance I have no issues with that.
My others at the moment are 543xp 346xpne,262xp,562xp,2166. I think that’s all of them. I’m pretty happy with the lineup but I do flirt with selling the 200 and 066 time to time. I’ve had the 066 for over 10 years. I did sell it but it found it’s way back here a few months later.

Been running stihl for over 20 years. My first saw was a ms 290 that I cut no less then 500 cords without a single issue. I had as many as 5 but culled it down to just 3. ms 290, 362 and a 261c. Nothing against other brands but there are more stihl dealers in my area so parts and service is just so handy.
I have only had to replace a oil pump on my second 290 and a coil on the 362. Other then that no issues what so ever. I cut at least 100 cord a year so they get plenty of use. I always run the tank dry before I put them away. I rotate saws just so each one gets some run time without sitting for very long.
I had my first 290 for 10 years as my only saw and sold it for almost as much as I paid for it.
Another reason I only use stihl is I only have to hit one place for any or all my parts. Not that I have needed a lot of parts. I have had great luck with stihl.
For me they always start easy and run great so if its not broke.

I'm a Stihl guy been running them since 1978. Our high school forestry class had 032s and 045s. I've owned 019t 044 460 066 stihl have my dad's 40 year old 032 still runs great. My newer saws are wifes 260 pro. 194T 056 super 661 and my favorite since the 044 the 500I. Other brands I've owned husky 372 Xpw ported and Mcculloch 250. Have about 80 hours on the 500 and rarely use anything else. No priming required when warm 1 pull start every time when warm . Use the 661 when have stuff over 36"

Latest posts

Back