How much does a Ibc tote hold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering how much wood can go into a Ibc tote.. Maybe 1/2 a Rick?

A rick of wood is 4 feet tall and 8 feet long and is as wide as the length of the individual piece of fire wood typically 16 inches. So it is about 1/3 of a full cord of wood.

Are you talking perfectly stacked or tossed in? 275 or 330 gal frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe 1/2 a Rick?
Depends on how long you cut your wood, and if it it stacked or tossed in. Also depends on which tote size.

standard_tank_sizes.jpg

There are a few choices.

Take A x B x C / 1728 to get Cu ft. Then take that divided by 128 to get cords.

ex. for a 300 gal tote 42x48x41=82656 in^2/1728=47.83 ft^3
47.83 ft^3 /128 = .374 cord.
If you heap it you can probably get just under 1/2 cord in it. All of this assumes you stack it neatly which will probably necessitate cutting one side off to allow for uneven wood.

I have 275 gallon totes..the wood just falls in them from the chute on my processor. The wood is 23 inches long

Ok so loose stacked. Doing a quick search of the forums shows ~ 170-180 cu ft / loose thrown cord. It will be worse with a tote that has one dimension less than 2x your wood length.
48*40*41/1728=45.6 cu ft.
My best guess is about a 1/4 cord. If you really want to know you would need to fill some and then hand stack them. Do a half dozen and take the average. If the deviation is too high from high to low it could be tricky selling by the "thrown IBC". If it's just for personal accounting it doesn't matter.

Probably same thing as a James, Bob, and Harry? :D

I have no idea where "rick" for firewood comes from, I've only heard it on here once in a blue moon. I just deal with 128cu ft cords.
It's funny how different areas say different things.. I sold my first Rick of wood in 1984.. It's standard measurement around here.. Very few people around here who sell wood dont have it priced by the Rick . If the wood is 16 inches long, 3 ricks make a cord. If it's 24 inches long , then 2 ricks make up a cord. A cord is 4x4x8

I stacked 2 rows of roughly 16" wood in mine. I have to measure the height, but I don't see how you can get 1/3 of a cord in a 275 gallon IBC tote. I am trying to figure out the exact same thing.

Blkcloud if you work the math using the figures below you will find that tossed in firewood would be shorting your customers by about 18% if you claimed 1/4 of a cord in a 275 gallon tote. As the dimensions of a tote don't fit wood cut to 16" in length evenly stacking inside a tote doesn't seem to work out well either.

Gallons in a cubic foot = 7.48
https://www.google.com/search?q=gallons+in+a+cuic+foot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=gallons+in+a+cubic+foot

275 gallons divided by 7.48 = 36.76 cubic feet.

How may cubic feet a tossed 1/4 cord of wood occupies depends on how long the wood is cut.

Length of wood in the thrown cord. Volume required to stack as a full cord.
12" or 16" wood 180 cubic feet
24" wood 195 cubic feet
A thrown cord of 12" or 16" wood will occupy 180 cubic feet; 24" wood will require 195 cubic feet to contain a cord.

I stacked 2 rows of roughly 16" wood in mine. I have to measure the height, but I don't see how you can get 1/3 of a cord in a 275 gallon IBC tote. I am trying to figure out the exact same thing.

If you stack your rows against the wire, that leaves about 10" in between that you can throw more into. Or maybe less if you don't get the rows right against the wire - but still there's space there to throw splits in running the other way. Should be around 1/3 cord.

Huh. My bases were more rectangular than square. I will measure, but the ones I have aren't getting a 1/3 in there. I just don't see it and the math does not add up either. I guess mine are smaller than normal. Par for the course.:laughing::lol:

I figure a 1/3 cord. Stacked, heaping full. It is really close. I don't sell tho. Got 2 more the other day for free, need to pull out the tanks and stack some. Butttttttt, it is blowing 40 MPH and blizzard like conditions. Was flipping muddy and melting yesterday. So, not gonna get done till snow melts and things firm up.

ibc metal caged 2 sizes 275 gallon & 330 gallon, kicker on these according to my foundry neighbor is it costs them $50 ea. to return them. I have 4 from them but haven't had time to pull the tanks out yet, didn't look to see what size either. price was right -free.

Blkcloud if you work the math using the figures below you will find that tossed in firewood would be shorting your customers by about 18% if you claimed 1/4 of a cord in a 275 gallon tote. As the dimensions of a tote don't fit wood cut to 16" in length evenly stacking inside a tote doesn't seem to work out well either.

Gallons in a cubic foot = 7.48
https://www.google.com/search?q=gallons+in+a+cuic+foot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=gallons+in+a+cubic+foot

275 gallons divided by 7.48 = 36.76 cubic feet.

How may cubic feet a tossed 1/4 cord of wood occupies depends on how long the wood is cut.

Length of wood in the thrown cord. Volume required to stack as a full cord.
12" or 16" wood 180 cubic feet
24" wood 195 cubic feet
A thrown cord of 12" or 16" wood will occupy 180 cubic feet; 24" wood will require 195 cubic feet to contain a cord.
I don't sell any wood. Just wondering for my on sake. Thanks

A rick is kind of like a face cord. Totally meaningless without more information. In Georgia, they are both illegal terms for selling firewood. It has to be a cord, or a fraction of a cord. I think the small bundles have to be labeled as to how many cubic feet they contain.

Back