How much firewood from this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get confirmation on what brand of beer this cat's providing. Nothing worse than spending all afternoon splittin' wood and having some jack-ass hand you a piss warm can of Stroh's when your done.
O’Doul’s!!

Do you think those folks selling you firewood are leaving it to sit for 2 years? lmao there is no money in that. 5-6 months and it is done and ready to go.
No, not those people. I’m hoping 9 months for them. I did notice a difference burning that wood and wood into its second year.

As for drying, I think the 18 inch rounds will dry pretty well out the ends compared with split and stacked,

No, not those people. I’m hoping 9 months for them. I did notice a difference burning that wood and wood into its second year.

As for drying, I think the 18 inch rounds will dry pretty well out the ends compared with split and stacked,

No 18 inch rounds will not dry out well compared to split and stacked. Don't forget it needs to be covered unless you are in an arid environment.

Are you sure you do ten cords per year?

No 18 inch rounds will not dry out well compared to split and stacked. Don't forget it needs to be covered unless you are in an arid environment.

Are you sure you do ten cords per year?
I didn’t say “as well”, as in equal. If it realistically won’t be burned until fall 2023, I feel the rounds are much better naturally protected wrapped in bark than split and covered. Wait til April and they will be mostly dry (august-March), then split stack through the summer. Sweet!

I didn’t say “as well”, as in equal. If it realistically won’t be burned until fall 2023, I feel the rounds are much better naturally protected wrapped in bark than split and covered.

Naturally protected wrapped in bark?

I don't believe that you know what you are talking about.

But hang in there.

There must be a couple of centuries of experience reading this thread and we will pull you along.

I have 43 years experience just by myself so I'm sure 200 years would be easily met.

Naturally protected wrapped in bark?

I don't believe that you know what you are talking about.

But hang in there.

There must be a couple of centuries of experience reading this thread and we will pull you along.

I have 43 years experience just by myself so I'm sure 200 years would be easily met.
Probably several hundred thousand years of firewood processing experience on here forum wide, just we're the only ones stupid enough to waste our time trying to help this guy out when he obviously doesn't need our input. Best of luck dude.

I didn’t say “as well”, as in equal. If it realistically won’t be burned until fall 2023, I feel the rounds are much better naturally protected wrapped in bark than split and covered. Wait til April and they will be mostly dry (august-March), then split stack through the summer. Sweet
Report back your findings in april :laughing:

Finally finished cutting. Any new thoughts on total split amount? Manna from heaven!

Attachments

• 543DA1D0-89CA-43C1-8CEE-D662610345A6.jpeg
    543DA1D0-89CA-43C1-8CEE-D662610345A6.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 82B6F7D1-300B-4C2D-AA86-6F72286D248C.jpeg
    82B6F7D1-300B-4C2D-AA86-6F72286D248C.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F0FF42EC-5652-4D72-8B19-B98045539211.jpeg
    F0FF42EC-5652-4D72-8B19-B98045539211.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
get a tape measure to figure out the dimensions of the pile to quit guessing
where's the fun in that grandpa! people like to ponder things. someday if it is split and stacked, we will all know the true answer. until then, (educated) guess away my friends!

Nothing splits easier than red oak. While you wring your hands wondering what to do, I'll send my 71 year old wife over to hand split it for you.
Not sure about your wife, but I split red oak with a five pound ax in grade school.
We heated with wood only until I was 14 years old.

I count ~35 blocks. If you cut them 18” long, then somewhere around 3/4 cord. if they are 16’s, then more like 5/8:cord. I believe that’s matches my initial estimate.

We expect a photo and final answer when you get it split and stacked.

wanted to update and thank contributors. i recently sold the wood unspilt for $150. good for me, good for them.

Back