How much is my 038 Magnum worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Largemouth21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a 038 magnum at a yard sale with a messed up AV mount. Fixed that and tuned the carb and it runs great. My father offered $200 for it but I feel like it’s worth more. What do you guys think. Piston and cylinder walls look great and it feels like it’s got great compression.

EDIT: I know it doesn’t look like a magnum but you can see a faint outline of where the sticker was.
F8CE1B44-2CC1-40F3-9978-E7581FAD936B.jpeg

welcome to the site .....don't quote me on this, but a believe they made a standard 038 like yours a 038 super , and the most sought after the magnum 038.... all of them in good shape are worth more than $200
Thank you! I’m pretty sure mine is a magnum, you can see where the sticker peeled off it faintly says magnum. It’s got a lot of power I think it’s in good shape. Any idea on how to price it?

welcome , also it is possible... but i believe the super and magnum badging was part of the metal tag riveted onto the cylinder cover not a sticker , however i could be wrong and most likely am ...maybe 4 years ago i sold a near mint 038 mag II for $850 with a new 25 inch bar and chain locally. these are internet pic's below of a super and mag II badging

Attachments

• 4923719a4fe0b7c0a97cee32eb514034.jpg
    4923719a4fe0b7c0a97cee32eb514034.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 30
Don't like the Old Man?
If my Dad ever wanted one of my saws it would be his...no charge
You make a very good point. I should just give it to him. I am not sure why I didn’t think of that. Maybe I should just make it an early Christmas present :) I didn’t actually pay anything for it either, the guy gave it to me for free because it was broken.

welcome , also it is possible... but i believe the super and magnum badging was part of the metal tag riveted onto the cylinder cover not a sticker , however i could be wrong and most likely am ...maybe 4 years ago i sold a near mint 038 mag II for $850 with a new 25 inch bar and chain locally. these are internet pic's below of a super and mag II badging
That’s a clean saw! I am not sure either but you can see “magnum” imprinted in the plastic faintly.

That’s a clean saw! I am not sure either but you can see “magnum” imprinted in the plastic faintly.
those are not pic's of the saw i sold it was near mint as stated ...... just internet pic's to show the metal badging with super and mag imprinted ...if you want a new mag sticker stihl sells them.... bout $2 plus tax..... :)... measuring the bore/stroke will tell if a mag or standard 038. ...mag has 52mm bore

You make a very good point. I should just give it to him. I am not sure why I didn’t think of that. Maybe I should just make it an early Christmas present :) I didn’t actually pay anything for it either, the guy gave it to me for free because it was broken.

Ya my dad was talking about wanting a top handle. I gave him my 193t for his bday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a 038 magnum at a yard sale with a messed up AV mount. Fixed that and tuned the carb and it runs great. My father offered $200 for it but I feel like it’s worth more. What do you guys think. Piston and cylinder walls look great and it feels like it’s got great compression.

EDIT: I know it doesn’t look like a magnum but you can see a faint outline of where the sticker was.
View attachment 873540

I think it wouldve been on the metal tag if it was a mag. The sticker could’ve been put on by anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

again that sicker can be purchased anywhere
im not saying its not but that saw you linked looks suspect
it has the front chain tensioner but the clutch cover is for a side tension saw.
im no expert but the SN would tell the real story. if i was selling a legit $2k saw, i would include a pic of the SN to verify it
Oh gotcha, well it doesn’t matter now since I’m giving it to him. I’m going to include a new chain with it, how do I tell which one it needs? I think the bar is 20”

Oh gotcha, well it doesn’t matter now since I’m giving it to him. I’m going to include a new chain with it, how do I tell which one it needs? I think the bar is 20”
we have users on here that can lookup the SN. post a pic of yours. it is towards the front by the muffler

The 038 was like an old school cockroach. It could survive a nuclear blast but it was a heavy beast. I think you would be doing well if you could give it away. I was given one many years ago and I found it a new home shortly thereafter. They make much better saws nowadays.

we have users on here that can lookup the SN. post a pic of yours. it is towards the front by the muffler
Apparently it has an aftermarket bar on it, it’s an oregon95F5943E-5354-4E62-8295-2E747A3F4042.jpeg nothing comes up when I search for that, not sure if it’s obsolete or what

Don't like the Old Man?
If my Dad ever wanted one of my saws it would be his...no charge
I do agree with you. I gave my old man my ms 290. I had lots of saws. All he did for me, this was the least I could do.
Now he wouldnt just take as may be the case here too. I just took it ther and said I wanted a saw ther for if i came to cut. Wasnt long befor he tried it and loved it. Unfortunatley i got it back when he passed. Wish he could have worn it out.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Apparently it has an aftermarket bar on it, it’s an oregonView attachment 873550 nothing comes up when I search for that, not sure if it’s obsolete or what
thats normal to get an AM bar on any chainsaw, that is just the model number of the oregon bar.

the SN will be here, right next to the muffler

1607796485771.png

The 038 was like an old school cockroach. It could survive a nuclear blast but it was a heavy beast. I think you would be doing well if you could give it away. I was given one many years ago and I found it a new home shortly thereafter. They make much better saws nowadays.
They don't make saws that last as long, as reliable, or as easy to work on, nowadays either.

Latest posts

Back