How much is my 038 Magnum worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently it has an aftermarket bar on it, it’s an oregonView attachment 873550 nothing comes up when I search for that, not sure if it’s obsolete or what
Give it to your dad for free.

That chain is nearly new. Check other side of the chain. If it has a number will give guage/pitch. Drive sprocket/rim will also be marked with chain pitch

20" 3/8 bar will take 72 drivers and most likely 0.050 gauge. Chain looks to be 33 RM Stihl semi-chisel

have mag here tagged like the op. w/sticker.
2 port muff.

the mag 2 said so on tag & had 3 port muff?

20" wont work it hard
200 is cheap fer a nice one.
+1 on givin to dad.
maybe, i always think of these tho
but it may have gone so long there are many different variations from stihl

1607797415315.png

They don't make saws that last as long, as reliable, or as easy to work on, nowadays either.
True, but you cannot grow a new back either. Trust me, a full day of liming with an 038 and you will need a hot date with a chiropractor. Good saw in its heyday, just too damb heavy for them amount of power it produced.

Heres a few pics of my 038 mag. Its not a germany made one. I have another more used one that is also a mag not made in germany.
97a9942ae3908d8326463c549d501381.jpg
f9f41270749baaedf8a5718d34de3c32.jpg
64e97ba9ddaf685f02c186f926282ecc.jpg
f8b83cfdc1a053d07b368cebad29be81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wow you all are great! Never been on a forum with more friendly people on it before haha. I went out and bought a spare chain, a bottle of engine oil, and a spare spark plug. I put it in a rubbermaid tote with a note and left it where he’d see it. I’ll update with his reaction
the 038 is a well built saw that will pull even a 28 inch bar ...more or equal grunt than an 044 magnum ..lower chain speed and more weight and vibration are it's only flaw ........wish i had kept the one i sold...but i say that about 100's of saws i have sold lol ....

True, but you cannot grow a new back either. Trust me, a full day of liming with an 038 and you will need a hot date with a chiropractor. Good saw in its heyday, just too damb heavy for them amount of power it produced.

That's why I have 036s, for limbing and smaller stuff. Real small stuff 026 or 028S (but the latter weighs as much as my 036).

My 038s come out when the wood gets > 20". With a 25" bar you can get limbs without bending over too much

Concerning the top cover badges. I was out in the barn this afternoon..........my damm finger got in the way of the 038 M picture, the 038 M II pic was from a parts saw.

Both are metal badges, no plastic stickers. My 038S --> M conversions are at my other place so couldn't get a picture of those covers.

My IPL does show a separate plate/sticker for "magnums". But some didn't have the sticker, it was on the metal plate

Attachments

• 038 magnum.jpg
    038 magnum.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 038 magnum II.jpg
    038 magnum II.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 12
Wow you all are great! Never been on a forum with more friendly people on it before haha. I went out and bought a spare chain, a bottle of engine oil, and a spare spark plug. I put it in a rubbermaid tote with a note and left it where he’d see it. I’ll update with his reaction

Don't forget the Christmas card!!!

santa clausNP.jpg

You've got to open this one to see it?

Attachments

• lumpofcoal copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
How did the muffler mod turn out, for power and noise? That's about ex port size by itself!

Looks like a variation of the one LakeSide53/Andy did on a 361
Well i was usin that 038 on the mill and my wife was uo town and she said she could here itnolain as day. So good lol.

I wasnt goin for crazy big on this one. Just trying to redirect the exhaust. And i also like the look of the pipes coming out.

That direction was terible on the mill though. Blew rite in my face. But that isnt my saw for the mill most the time. Got a 066 for that.

Latest posts

Back