How much lumber from this 7ft oak log?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhandagain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How do you guys go about estimating bd ft from a section of tree. My chain is 3/8th.

if any of you guys with experience are good at estimating can you predict what I will get from this 7ft by 18 in section. I want to do 2 in cuts. I figure I’ll get 5 good 2in slabs. That sound about right?

have any idea how much wood I’ll lose off of two inch cuts with drying and planing?

thanks for the knowledge too

Attachments

• CF6442AA-80D2-4719-9104-CDC7F4628098.jpeg
    CF6442AA-80D2-4719-9104-CDC7F4628098.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
You’re more likely to get 4 2” slabs from a log that size, though I’m just guessing based on the image provided and assuming 1/4” loss per kerf.

Shooting for 4 also makes it possible to hit the pith, which is almost always the best way to go with oak - checking is reduced and you should get a nice quartersawn book match out of the middle two pieces.

Board footage is a measure of volume (144 cubic inches) and is easy to estimate. Take the average slab width in inches, multiply by length in inches, multiply by total depth of boards in inches, divide by 144, et voila!

Back