How much Wood do you Burn a Week in Cold Weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it’s -20 or colder the rack by the door will last a week or so, and it holds a face cord. From -20 to about 0 that rack will last 2 weeks or so, and in warmer temps then that less.

We have a single wood stove that is our sole source of heat.

When it’s -20 or colder the rack by the door will last a week or so, and it holds a face cord. From -20 to about 0 that rack will last 2 weeks or so, and in warmer temps then that less.

We have a single wood stove that is our sole source of heat.
What is your definition of a face cord?
We use solar tubes, as opposed to solar panels for the hot water in Summer

I had thought about that, but have solar panels. Local changes in code will prevent me from placing anything within 3 feet of the panels. It's a good idea though.

About three truck loads, when I was burning.
It was in Addison to other heat source, so it was not the only heat.

I estimate 2.5 cords for the first two winters and probably 1.5 cords this winter.

The first two winters were using an open fireplace and this winter will be using a wood stove insert.

We have just under 3000 sq ft and heating oil is the primary heat source. We keep the thermostat at 62-70 (depending on how cold the wife gets) and usually only have the fire going during the evening.

I had been double stacking pallets of loose thrown using the PackFix. Top row was covered, and sits on four pallets below it. So staggered rows. Some of the lower, inner rows got a white fungus on it that looks like spider nests. The short of it is, the lower rows were wet/dry/wet on the outside and about the top third of the pallets would be pretty ugly.
Split it and it was seasoned and fine, but ugly. In part because the bark would release (read seasoned) and then trap moisture (making white fungus on the woods surface). I didn't sort it out, I didn't sell sell it either.

I sold the top rows, beautiful clean seasoned oak, and re-used those covers on the bottom rows, then set them aside last year.
Beautiful burning wood this year. Not quite as clean, as the fungus is still there but dried up and dead. Coals up really nice, burning hot, very little ash (this could be because there are few pieces with bark that has not released).

To get on topic with this thread, seems less quantity wise when heating as well, one vs two year seasoning.
Happy customers have text me pictures and comments as well.
However, I'm done double stacking pallets.IMG_3657.jpg

I'll jump in on this one. In the really cold (-20F) windy (30-40mph) weather like we just got through, I can burn through just over 1 cord a week. That is split between two stoves though. Just the house, maybe 1/3 cord. The shop is a wood hungry beast just to keep it above freezing in those conditions.

Back