How often do you check cylinder bolts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cylinder bolts i torque near max what my plastic handle t wrench will do without breaking. I agree with rechecking them at least once after 1 to a few tanks of fuel is a good rule of thumb. I usually check mine there after only when doing other maintnence and it's convenient. Years ago I unthinking put high heat loctite on an 066s cylinder bolts. When I thought i was finished i had a piston circlip on the bench and wasn't sure if it was an old 1 or i forgot to install it, so went to take the cylinder of, the next day or so to check and couldn't get the cylinder bolts to break loose. Broke the torx wrench tip off in a torx cylinder screw trying. Ended up selling the PH as is. Heard the new owner got the screws out, not sure what it took. Blue loctite should be ok, wouldn't use high heat or permanent. . I use blue on other screws sometimes.

Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting for parts. Worst part about Dolmar/Makita for me as I have no dealers within an hours drive.

Any thoughts on base gasket orientation? Ridge should be up as far as I know.

FINALLY got my parts today! Ordered from 2 different national vendors and both took 2 weeks to let me know that the parts were on "extended" delay from their distributor. Had to cancel each order and then find someone else. Got the base gasket from a smaller online dealer that sells parts for all kinds of different brands. Parts arrived in less than 5 days and very reasonable shipping charges! Ended up ordering the m5 x 20 bolts with T27 heads from Ebay. Could have got them from the small online dealer but didn't know it at the time. Now I know who to go to in the future.

Back together and running but certainly have to question the torque specs. Had that uneasy feeling again when torquing the bolts when I started checking with the torque wrench at 9 N-m. I bought extra so I put one in the vise and it snapped the head off at 10 N-m (spec in the factory manual is 14). The replacement bolts are aftermarket so I used one of the bolts that was originally in the saw and it snapped at 10 also. Both would tolerate 9 N-m. So, I torqued them all to 9 and will recheck after a few tanks.

My torque wrench could be off but it was bought new from Ebay and came in a factory case. 14 N-m is right in the middle of the TW's range. Lastly, after consulting a tool based forum (garagejournal.com), the recommended torque spec for even a 12.9 hardened metric bolt is less than 14 N-m.

Latest posts

Back