How often do you tighten your chainsaw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelanali

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
"What a DUMB question! I tighten my chainsaw chain when it gets loose." - I know that's the BASIC answer!

But, I am curious to know how often? Do you tighten your chainsaw chain after each use or daily.

For example, I personally check my chain tension and tighten it properly every time I refill the tank. (Regardless of how much time has passed since the last use.)

I'm sure there are many different opinions and methods out there, so I'd love to hear what everyone does!

Thanks in advance for your input. : )

"What a DUMB question! I tighten my chainsaw chain when it gets loose." - I know that's the BASIC answer!

But, I am curious to know how often? Do you tighten your chainsaw chain after each use or daily.

For example, I personally check my chain tension and tighten it properly every time I refill the tank. (Regardless of how much time has passed since the last use.)

I'm sure there are many different opinions and methods out there, so I'd love to hear what everyone does!

When it gets loose…🙄

Sometimes every 60 seconds or less : when the chain is NEW. it ALWAYS loose because it stretch....
Sometimes every 5 minutes or less (when I cut hard wood like hornbeam, or oak).
Everytime when the bar is stuck in a cut, and thousand of kg of tree press to the chain : in this situation, tension check is always needed.
Every fuel, when the wood is stacked in 1 meter poles and i'm doing final pieces for the stove..........

There's no a constant "often" : when it needs....

2-3 times a day maybe more I work 6-9 hours a day depending on conditions how much I can get done how thick the timber is I cut timber 5-6 days a week professionally for about 7 years now. how aggressive you keep your chain will make a difference I prefer a more aggressive tooth and drag profile my chains will stretch more often with a 90cc saw compared to my 70cc it all depends on conditions and how much work you put on a chain is my 2 cents.

When the links are nearly out of the bar. That is generally after cutting for one tank with a new chain, 2-3 tanks with a broken-in chain.

Back