How often do you tighten your chainsaw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a stupid closed minded blanket statement to say.
It's a big world out there not everyone cuts rolled up foam mattress. Needing to adjust the chain at every tank refill and giving the chain a rub is the norm cutting hardwoods around my part of the world.
Almost as bad as the clowns that say you can get days out of a chain before it needs sharpening or ya doing something wrong! What a small sheltered world some guys live in they think what they do applies to the world 😆
I'd say that it depends. For shorter chains (20" and under), if you're using good chain and it's broke in, you should be able to go 4 or 5 tanks without needing to adjust the tension on the chain. If you're running a 28" or 32", you'll probably need to adjust it every 2 or 3 tanks. If' you're running something that's 36" or more, it's worth checking on every tank. That's the way it has worked for me, and I cut mostly hickory and oak with some locust thrown in.

I'd say that it depends. For shorter chains (20" and under), if you're using good chain and it's broke in, you should be able to go 4 or 5 tanks without needing to adjust the tension on the chain. If you're running a 28" or 32", you'll probably need to adjust it every 2 or 3 tanks. If' you're running something that's 36" or more, it's worth checking on every tank. That's the way it has worked for me, and I cut mostly hickory and oak with some locust thrown in.
That surprises me a bit. I run Stihl RS chain on a 20" bar. I get 2-3 tanks between adjustment. And that is better than I have gotten with Oregon or other chains. I cut hardwood exclusively. But I use a Stihl MS500i. I suspect more powerful saws such as the MS500i may stretch the chain more than weaker saws.

That surprises me a bit. I run Stihl RS chain on a 20" bar. I get 2-3 tanks between adjustment. And that is better than I have gotten with Oregon or other chains. I cut hardwood exclusively. But I use a Stihl MS500i. I suspect more powerful saws such as the MS500i may stretch the chain more than weaker saws.
To be fair, I mainly run Stihl .325 x .063 chain on 18" bars. I have a couple of 20" bars and semi-chisel loops for them (got them as part of a purchase), but I don't run them enough to be able to speak about their chain stretch. On my big saw I run a 28" bar with .404 chain and (only when needed) a 42" bar with 3/8 x .063 chain, and those are Oregon. The 28" does loosen up a little, but it takes 3 or 4 tanks before it needs tightened. The 42" usually needs tweaked at least every other tank.

Some dry hard Ironbark 90cc saw Stihl RS .404 .063 gauge chain 20" bar oiler on max and I'm adjusting the slack out of the chain every tank. Guess it depends on the vastly different conditions globally. For example our native Cypress Pine has a janka hardness the same as your guy's White Oak.

When bucking i tightn the chain after one more then another one more well you get it.
Sometimes this turns into tomorrow often the next time i sharpen it since its harder to sharpen a loose chain.

Latest posts

Back