How often do you tighten your chainsaw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a chain and/or rim are new, I check them after every tank. Once they are broken in, I only check them when I sharpen the chain, and that's really only indirectly because if they are too loose, the chain is more difficult to sharpen.

You guys are mean! I have no snarky things to add, but a minor aside to add. I like to tighten the chain pretty snug and then lift the bar halfway between its upper limit and lower position on the bolts as I am tightening the bar bolts. This adjusts the bar to a neutral position.

I was taught it reduces wear on chain, bar and sprocket.

My stuff ages well so I am happy. Wish I were better with carbs........

My Stihl is like every other fill up. My husky could be several tanks. I rubbed some beeswax on the thread and it doesn't backlash as easy anymore.
My Stihl I lay the saw on its back and set the tension. The husky I just forward tip it and set it.

Just making sure you know. Loosen the bar nuts. Then adjust chain. Then tighten the bar nuts. The bar needs to be in the farthest up position. It flops up and down. If it's down when you start running it. The bar goes up and acts loose.
I have no idea how much experience you have and I'm just dumbing it down . No offense

How are babies made ? What’s the meaning of life ? Phew..... been wanting to ask that for a long time....😆😆😆

If you have to tighten the chain every time you fill then your buying cheap chains. Apart from the initial breaking in that is and it's getting oil like it should.

If you have to tighten the chain every time you fill then your buying cheap chains. Apart from the initial breaking in that is and it's getting oil like it should.
What a stupid closed minded blanket statement to say.
It's a big world out there not everyone cuts rolled up foam mattress. Needing to adjust the chain at every tank refill and giving the chain a rub is the norm cutting hardwoods around my part of the world.
Almost as bad as the clowns that say you can get days out of a chain before it needs sharpening or ya doing something wrong! What a small sheltered world some guys live in they think what they do applies to the world 😆

Latest posts

Back