How Old Is My Stihl 015AV?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walleye Guy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I inherited a Stihl 015AV from my grandfather when he passed away a few years ago and I'd like to know how old it is. The SN is difficult to read but I believe it is 7409149.

I contacted Stihl and they said "Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that older models used to have either seven or eight digits long serial number. Unfortunately, this particular unit is not entered in the system, and therefore we cannot determine its exact year of production, only production years of the model which were from 1976 to 1983." So the best they can do is tell me it was made sometime between 1976 and 1983. Am I missing a digit or is this one really just too old to be in their system? I attached a picture of the stamping pad below. I remember using this with my grandpa in the 80's when I was in grade school and at that time it wasn't very old. Maybe a Stihl guru out there somewhere can help me? Maybe there are design features that would give some clues? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 5687859364260382222.jpg
    5687859364260382222.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
HarleyT, thank-you that's very helpful. Any other advice on how to narrow down the age even more? Also, where can I find that tech bulletin?

stihltech, I might need a few parts for mine. Not sure if you're interested in selling some of the parts in those totes...

The tech bulletins are from the old Mediacat disc, the real old tech bulletins are referred to, but not able to be looked at. Like this one referring to the electronic conversion kit, it gives the tech bulletin number, but you cannot click on it to read it.

otb.JPG

Thanks HarleyT. So the tech note about the 7 digit serial number is in the "too old/can't click on it" category?

Thanks HarleyT. So the tech note about the 7 digit serial number is in the "too old/can't click on it" category?
The tech bulletin is on the "Good Stihl Info" thread I gave the link to.

In the mediacat disc, If a tech bulletin is not underlined, then you cannot click on it and read it, like this one on the ignition.
tooold.JPG

Latest posts

Back