How or where to get milled pine treated for outdoor use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbowrenchhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After many weekends of falling and milling. I have a considerable amount of 12' x 1 1/4 thick pine boards. We want to build a deck out of this lumber but we are not sure where or what we can do to treat them. Pressure treating would be optimal but we can not find anywhere that does this. Are there any other alternatives? We live in SE Wisconsin.

I’m in Northern California, so no local advice, but you should be able to find a mill that will do it for you if you call around and ask nicely.
While proper PT will last a bit longer, you can always fall back on nasty ol copper green wood preservative applied with a pump sprayer if you strike out - almost as toxic and fugly as PT to boot!

I've used to the recipe from the Forest Products Laboratory in Madison WI and pleased with it. Basically a lot of mineral spirits, a little spar varnish, and parafin. Worked well on yellow cedar fence for a lot of years, recoating every 2 or 3 (or 4) years. Not for ground contact but tested by samples in a swamp iirc.

Back