How rich do you guys run your older saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad3400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a Poulan 3400 Countervibe and just want to know how rich (H adjustment) you guys run your older saws at WOT/Under load?

In other words, do you guys like running them Smokey or "Clean"?

Mad3400

I run my 3400 Bow pretty clean...she likes to sing, but not so lean it lays over under a load

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

50:1, like most 2 stroke manufacturers recommend. And rich or lean is a function of the H and low adjustment screws on the carb. Today's 2 strokes don't smoke like the old Macs and Homelites. The 2 stroke oils today are much different than the old saws as well, your milage may vary. Oil threads suck.

I got a Poulan 3400 Countervibe and just want to know how rich you guys run your older saws at WOT/Under load?

In other words, do you guys like running them Smokey or "Clean"?

Mad3400
The older Poulans were made to mix at 40:1 with good quality oil.As far as carb tuning goes ,never turn the hi side in more than 1 turn and you will be fine.I ran my old 3800 like that for 7 hard years with no problems until I backed over it with a tractor.Your carb may be a bit different,and altitude as well,but that 1 turn rule works most anywhere.

32:1 and run them on the rich side like all my saws - so they only clean up under good load, not when it just touches the wood.

Started at 50:1, went to 40:1 then 32:1.

32 is pretty excessive if good oil. Burns ya nose hairs against a big log. And running rich with 32 results in carbon build up and then a nice scored up piston

32 is pretty excessive if good oil. Burns ya nose hairs against a big log. And running rich with 32 results in carbon build up and then a nice scored up piston

I politely disagree - the difference between 40:1 and 32:1 is 6 mls per 1,000ml’s, I can almost guarantee most people here who say they run a set ratio are probably over or under it by a few mls each time anyway. 6 ml’s of oil extra per L wont be the cause carbon, burning nose hairs and scored piston. A poorly tuned saw or cheap oil will. Happy to be proven wrong and if I ever notice any excessive carbon I’ll swap back, but so far it’s not been my experience since changing from 40:1 to 32:1.

I politely disagree - the difference between 40:1 and 32:1 is 6 mls per 1,000ml’s, I can almost guarantee most people here who say they run a set ratio are probably over or under it by a few mls each time anyway. 6 ml’s of oil extra per L wont be the cause carbon, burning nose hairs and scored piston. A poorly tuned saw or cheap oil will. Happy to be proven wrong and if I ever notice any excessive carbon I’ll swap back, but so far it’s not been my experience since changing from 40:1 to 32:1.

I'm hearing ya man probably poorly tuned make the most difference.

I used to run 32 in my saws basically because it was what I ran all my life in dirt bikes and also the 82cc mccullochs ask for 32. Well after listening here I went to 40. Its motul 800 so very good oil and man what a difference. In the cut down in the bottom of a big log the fumes are actually quite bad and with 40 is pretty much unnoticeable.

A dirt bike with a pipe burns much higher temp much more load way higher compression under load and to be fair on the RM250 I've gone to 40 too. A 125 32:1 probably sweet as. A saw just isn't burning that motul properly hence the strong fume and watering eyes. At 40 it smells amazing like motul should.

Stihl oil stinks too I might add. Even at 50:1

How much you cutting these days Tom?

I'm hearing ya man probably poorly tuned make the most difference.

I used to run 32 in my saws basically because it was what I ran all my life in dirt bikes and also the 82cc mccullochs ask for 32. Well after listening here I went to 40. Its motul 800 so very good oil and man what a difference. In the cut down in the bottom of a big log the fumes are actually quite bad and with 40 is pretty much unnoticeable.

A dirt bike with a pipe burns much higher temp much more load way higher compression under load and to be fair on the RM250 I've gone to 40 too. A 125 32:1 probably sweet as. A saw just isn't burning that motul properly hence the strong fume and watering eyes. At 40 it smells amazing like motul should.

Stihl oil stinks too I might add. Even at 50:1

How much you cutting these days Tom?
yes I used race motocross and 32:1 was all I used. Many moons ago now
60CF8B19-5812-4CC2-B939-88B6A9B6D49B.jpeg
I have no need for firewood, only ever collect carving wood so no where near the amounts others would haul. Generally about 1/3 - 1/2 a ton each year was what I would get through carving. Though with the injury that stopped for many months this year. So i have just been taking them out to go through a tank or two after rebuilds to tune and check them.

I’ve heard lots of people dislike the smell of motomix, I love it! BBC0E8C5-CC9A-4227-B634-E04AC683E32B.jpegC253B9CF-A19C-4152-B3D4-B0A15AC06B57.jpeg
F2C2ECA3-2CDC-4927-8F41-C95C281574CD.jpeg

Far out I forget no firewood.

What bikes were ya riding? I just got back into it. Only RM250 at most meetings now damn strange. Usually a couple YZ250s lots of yz125s though and ktm 2strokes

What did ya hurt? I can't remember
I use to ride a 2001 Honda Cr250. I then sold that and got a cbr600f
I hurt my arm - tennis elbow.7BDD5455-E02F-464B-88FE-FF5BE628A5A3.jpeg

Back