How should I fertilize Green Giant Thuja trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohan808

Powersaw addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I planted arborvitae thuja along my property which is on a steepish slope. They were purchased disease free on sale at a nameless big box store 3 yrs ago. I am wondering what I can do to stimulate faster growth. A couple have some rooting exposed. Can I heap soil and chip mulch over the exposed areas without causing root rot?

It's always best to get a soil sample done. Arbs like more neutral to alkaline soil. Most likely you'll be adding lime. Before you mulch over the exposed roots I would broadcast a balanced glandular fertilizer through out the root zone.

Certainly cover the roots with a little soil then mulch to help hold that soil in place. If it is going to keep washing, consider planting grass or a low-growing clover to help stabilize the soil.

Like @Raintree said, get a soil test. Around my parts, I would never assume you need to add lime...we are rather alkaline here and usually need to find trees that can tolerate pH over 7.4. But every place is different which is why a soil test is so helpful - so you know what YOUR soil needs to help the trees along...which may be nothing at all.

Generally Nitrogen helps trees grow faster. However, that is often at the cost of root development or insect/disease tolerance. Also, if there is something else that is out of balance, more N may actually decrease growth as it throws everything even more out of balance.

To stimulate faster growth in your arborvitae thuja, you can plant appropriately, water appropriately, space the plants correctly, and fertilize when needed. It is not recommended to put soil over a tree’s exposed roots as it can suffocate them. However, mulch is the best way to cover tree roots above ground. Adding 2-3 inches of organic mulch gives your landscape a clean look and moisturizes and protects the roots. Mulch will also prevent erosion from happening, which helps the tree roots stay protected.
For more tips about green Giant Thuja trees check this blog https://thujasupply.com/blogs/thuja-green-giant-blog

Latest posts

Back