How to build a peavie, cant hook, or log jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmatuska

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have started cutting my own firewood and rather than borrowing a cant hook from a friend I would like to have my own. Looking at them online and in stores the good ones are over $100. Kind of expensive for someone cutting their own wood.

Has anyone built their own cant hook, peavey, or log jack that they can share pictures, plans or advice. I can do some basic welding and cutting, but I'm not that great at it, so the simpler the design the better.

Any advice is greatly appreiciated.

Thank You,

Jim

Jim, the one you borrowed, just use it as a pattern, you can use steel pipe instead of a wood handle - Do a google search, you'll see all kinds of them - Post a pic. when you get it done -

I have a buddy who is a welding instructor at a high school and I e-mailed this plan to him, for a plan for his students to build as a final, which I got from someone who posted here so here you go if you want to give it a try
attachment.php

Jim,
I hate to say it, but quit being a piker and go buy yourself a log peavy from Logrite for $100. The thing will last you a lifetime. And after using that thing for a lifetime, you will still be able to sell it for about $50 on Fleabay. That means after about 25 years, you only spent $2 a year to save yourself time, aggravation, and possibly a back surgery or two. Most of us will piss away $100 for lottery tickets or beer in about a month's time and not think anything of it.

Thanks for the plans

Thanks for the plans, those are exactly what I needed. I was going to draw up my own design, but these plans will work great. I have a bunch of black pipe left over from when I installed natural gas in my house so that will be perfect to use for these plans. I'll post a picture once I complete building mine.

:greenchainsaw:

I built this one last month...

Timberjack.gif

I used remnant pieces I had laying around... It's pretty heavy duty.

I can scale it for you if you want measurements.

The jack is removable so you can use it as a cant hook.

Also a very nice one. I find it very interesting how if you buy a cant hook or peavie or jack they are over 100 dollars yet they look so simple to build.

As for scale, my only question is how long is your hook and typically how big of diameter logs can you lift with it?

Also a very nice one. I find it very interesting how if you buy a cant hook or peavie or jack they are over 100 dollars yet they look so simple to build.

As for scale, my only question is how long is your hook and typically how big of diameter logs can you lift with it?

LOL... It may look simple... But it took some trial and error. I had to try and scale one from an online picture.

Fully open, point-to-point is about 18"-19". It stands about 14.5" off the ground. This thing would probably turn a 5' tree, and jack something 24"-36"? I haven't tested it's capacity yet... Biggest I've jacked so far is probably 15" at the bole.

Hey Metals, nice work, how about a close up of the tooth on the end of the bar? I am almost done with mine and amazingly it looks very similiar to yours. Just need to work out the bite end of it. Thanks, KD

Hey Metals, nice work, how about a close up of the tooth on the end of the bar? I am almost done with mine and amazingly it looks very similiar to yours. Just need to work out the bite end of it. Thanks, KD

TimberjackMarch2008006.jpg

Now you got to show me yours. ;)

Excellent! Thanks, so it looks like you cut a taper in the pipe/bar and filled it with weld and ground it smooth? Next question, hardened steel tooth? I was considering a grade 5 or 8 bolt (ground smooth of course) and using that.

Thanks for the pics, it helps, gonna weld the rest of it up in the morning. KD

Excellent! Thanks, so it looks like you cut a taper in the pipe/bar and filled it with weld and ground it smooth? Next question, hardened steel tooth? I was considering a grade 5 or 8 bolt (ground smooth of course) and using that.

Thanks for the pics, it helps, gonna weld the rest of it up in the morning. KD

Nope, I cut a oblong piece out of the pipe flipped it over, welded it back in, and ground her smooth. I then cut another section off a scrap piece of pipe, and used that to transition back up toward the tooth. You have to make sure you're getting good weld penetration, or you'll grind the weld away, and have to do it again. The tooth is just a corner cut off of a 1/4"X3" piece of flat bar... No high carbon needed.

OK, good deal gonna do the same. I've been using 7018ac rod on everything and will stick with it (ac welder). The pipe I am using is 3/16 inch thick walled pipe x 1.25 od should be strong enough.

I've got plenty of scraps for the teeth. Will post a pic when done. Did you find the cut out was necessary for proper function? Right now I just have straight pipe with no cut out. Thanks again, KD

EDIT: My hook is two 5/8ths cold rolled side by side welded together. It was a witch bending each piece with just some pry pipes and getting the two pieces to match up before welding. KD

Last edited:
Back