How to clean mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo jojo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If the muffler can be taken appart, the soot, carbon and burned oil can be torched and scraped...
But what to do if the muffler is welded one piece?

...so what is the best and efficient way to clean mufflers?...go

I have had pretty good success by placing a caked up muffler over the side burner of my gas grill turning it on high and letting the flames stay on it for 10-30 minutes. Most of the time, the muffler will smoke heavily for a while, and often you can see an internal flame begin in the muffler. After removing from the heat and letting it cool, you should try and make sure no loose carbon comes out any of the openings on the muffler. You could also possibly try blowing compressed air through it, or even running water through it to ensure no solids are left that could get back into your engine.

I've also had some success with a propane torch where I will send flame directly into the muffler inlet and outlet for several minutes to see if I can burn out the deposits. The grill method may take longer overall, but is less hassle.

Put it on the glows in your wood stove, it will be clean as a whistle in no time.
I did that my frying pan that had a thick layer of burned grease impossible to remove, it was absolutely pure after a couple of hours.
You might want to give it a coat of heat resistant paint after that. I feel hungry now.

Latest posts

Back