How to estimate cords in the woodpile...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, my real job got REAL busy, and so I haven't been playing in the woodyard for quite a while. Good to be back here. Even better to be back in the woodyard!

I once came across a formula to estimate how much wood is in a thrown-on pile---not stacked. But I can't remember what it was, and I'm not having luck finding it this morning.

Does anyone remember/know? I'm thinking it was take the volume of the pile and divide by 180 or something like that (rather than 128) to get a ballpark estimate of how many cords are in a pile?

Does that sound about right?

For loose piles, dividing volume by 180 is correct for an estimate of a cord.

For conicle piles:

V = (π*r*r*h)/3

Cord approximation. = V/180 = .006 (r*r*h)
Thanks GoldField... that's what I was trying to remember. Sometimes the ol' brainium does work. Almost had to get my little yellow book out to get that cone volume formula, but you saved the day👍

Well math was never my best subject, but I can usually at least come close to getting the right answer.

I have no idea what was said here. Can you redneck it down to roosters and cowpies for me?
For loose piles, dividing volume by 180 is correct for an estimate of a cord.

For conicle piles:

V = (π*r*r*h)/3

Cord approximation. = V/180 = .006 (r*r*h)

Back