How to get big rounds on truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja1724

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question but I do alot of cutting in the woods by myself and many times I'll come across some big diameter trees. Like right now I'm working a 28" diameter red oak and a 30" diameter white oak. The problem is, after bucking them into 16-18" rounds they still weigh somewhere in the 250lb range. I can lift a few into my truck but then my back and legs say "no more".

Now I know the obvious answers here like - bring a helper or cut smaller wood but does anybody out there have any creative solutions for getting big rounds on your truck when you're alone?

Thanks much.

Shindaiwa 488 Pro 18" bar
Husky 576XP 24" bar

I have a 500 lbs lift from harbor freight that slips in the receiver hitch. 12 volt winch is what provides the motion. Also have another small portable 12v winch to drag stuff out or over to Truck. ( faster than the come-a-longs, but they have their place also)

blades, can you post a link to that lift? It sounds interesting, but I couldn't find it searching around.

A pic would be great, too!

Easiest way is to noodle them into quarters.

That way it's easier to unload them and wrangle them onto the splitter later.

Ramps and rolling them works too, but then you're still stuck unloading them.

Noodles. They're not just for lunch anymore.LOL!! :)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Buy a trailer with ramps. I use an old skid steer trailer to haul wood. It had folding ramps. I can roll some very big pieces up onto the trailer that way. Depending on how tall your truck is, you might be able to roll stuff up a ramp into it.
There was also a guy on here the other day with pictures of a truck with a Tommy Gate on the back. That would work great if you could get one of those cheap.

Either noodle them or use a ramp. I prefer to use a ramp (2 x 12) because I can just roll 'em off when I get home and split the big rounds down to size in vertical mode. Also, may seem obvious, but when using a ramp to roll 'em up, try to park truck downhill, makes it a little easier.

Search through the threads for lifts or cranes and you will find several different designs and methods.

Put your maul and wedge assortments in a strong metal whelbarrow. Half or quarter the big unmanagable ones. Problem solved. That's how Paincow rolls.

Thanks, I shoulda thought of this. Sometimes the big greenies are a bear to split though.

Put that 576 on a diet of noodles.

Those ripcut/noodle chains make me a bit nervous. All the ones I've looked at say "not for handheld use".

I have a 500 lbs lift from harbor freight that slips in the receiver hitch. 12 volt winch is what provides the motion. Also have another small portable 12v winch to drag stuff out or over to Truck. ( faster than the come-a-longs, but they have their place also)

Thanks blades. I've come up with what I think will be a fairly cheap hitch mount manual winch hoist. Looks like it's time to bust out the welder...

I've been using a set of long motorcycle ramps from Tractor Supply, they're longer than the HF ones and have a bit of an arch. I roll the ones I can roll, the rest I'll take a rope to a pulley on the headache rack, over the log from the top and back to the rack to give some mechanical advantage and roll them up.

Noodles. No added equipment necessary. Just cut, let the muffler breathe, and give the saw a break if the rounds are too big during the cut.

Those ripcut/noodle chains make me a bit nervous.

Different things.

Noodling is done with a regular chain.

Pics to follow shortly...

...OK, the nice things about a home office:

Here's a conventional cross cut:
cross.jpg

This is a rip cut, cockeyed rip cut but good enough to illustrate the principle:
rip.jpg

This is a noodle cut:
noodle.jpg

I guess it's sort of like how pilots have roll, pitch, and yaw...we have cross, rip, and noodle as the three primary directions of a chainsaw :D

Last edited:
Why not use the tractor with the bucket? :hmm3grin2orange:

If that is not an option, I would use a ramp or just split them in half or quarters to get to a manageable size. A Monster Maul works well for this. My personal preference is to move as large a piece as possible from the cutting site as it means I am handling fewer pieces.

Put that 576 on a diet of noodles.

Easiest way is to noodle them into quarters.

That way it's easier to unload them and wrangle them onto the splitter later.

Ramps and rolling them works too, but then you're still stuck unloading them.

Noodles. They're not just for lunch anymore.LOL!! :)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Just watched some videos on noodling. I've done this before just didn't know that was what it was called. Probably the easiest way to go. This doesn't dull the chain out any faster does it?

Just watched some videos on noodling. I've done this before just didn't know that was what it was called. Probably the easiest way to go. This doesn't dull the chain out any faster does it?

Nope! Dosn't dull it more than any other cutting will. Have at it with no worries.

If you kinda offset the cut a little from dead nuts paralell with the grain, the noodles will be shorter and not clog up the clutch cover as bad, if that becomes and issue.

Keeping the powerhead 2-3" from the round helps too. Gives the noodles room to fall instead of going into the clutch cover.
Big Dawgs are nice for this.

If you're noodling giant stuff, give the saw a cool down break every 5Min. or so. Just let it idle and cool a bit.

Good luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I split and quarter in the woods, if I can't lift.

I noodle if I can't split with a maul.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question but I do alot of cutting in the woods by myself and many times I'll come across some big diameter trees. Like right now I'm working a 28" diameter red oak and a 30" diameter white oak. The problem is, after bucking them into 16-18" rounds they still weigh somewhere in the 250lb range. I can lift a few into my truck but then my back and legs say "no more".

Now I know the obvious answers here like - bring a helper or cut smaller wood but does anybody out there have any creative solutions for getting big rounds on your truck when you're alone?

Thanks much.

Shindaiwa 488 Pro 18" bar
Husky 576XP 24" bar

May be old fashion, but its the way I do it.:) I will on occasion, noodle cut them, if they are particularly gnarly. Good old sledge & wedge!

4200Ash019.jpg

4200Ash021.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Back