How to Go Form .325 chain to 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkellyusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo 4910 chainsaw that came with .325 chain. It's my first time using that size chain and while I haven't had any problems with it I would like to change it over to work with 3/8 chain. My reason for wanting to do this is that there are a lot more chain options and better chain available in the 3/8 size. I've heard others claim that they just ran 3/8 on the stock sprocket. I am not sure if that is the best solution so I am asking what others have done and if I need a different sprocket where do I get the one I need. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

3/8" chain comes in either full size or LP (Picco). Not sure which you are trying to change to.
Neither will run on your existing sprocket. Take your sprocket to a decent saw shop they should be able to sell you what you want.
Note that you will need to change the bar as well (sprocket nose is set for the .325 you have. Make sure the gage matches the chain as well (0.050, 0.058, 0.063).

Small 3/8 7T rim sprocket is what you need. Plus matching bar chain.

But IMHO stock or even muffler modded 4910 your not going to like with full size 3/8.

What you should try IMO if wanting more chain speed is put a 325 8T rim on instead of the 7T that comes on it. Then about same size as the 3/8 7T rim.

There is some really good 325 chains out there. RS pro, RSC, RS, LPX, LGX. LPX smooth in the cuts limbing etc.

I tested 3/8LP picco 7T, 3/8 full size 7T and 325 7T on my ported and muffler modded 490. Going to try the 325 8T someday. But really liking it with the 3/8LP picco set up. It's just my light trimming limbing saw.

But with that set up been flawless during my storm clean up.

e490blk.jpge490picco.jpg

3/8" chain comes in either full size or LP (Picco). Not sure which you are trying to change to.
Neither will run on your existing sprocket. Take your sprocket to a decent saw shop they should be able to sell you what you want.
Note that you will need to change the bar as well (sprocket nose is set for the .325 you have. Make sure the gage matches the chain as well (0.050, 0.058, 0.063).
Full size is what I am looking for. .050 gauge is fine by me I think but if I have to change the bar for 3/8ths I could go higher. We are mostly doing storm cleanup so for that I use semi-chisel chain.

I have one saw with .325 16" bar, Makita corded electric - it's got the guts chain doesn't, not impressed with the chain. most of my units run 3/8 - 20-36" bars with the 084 at 404-with 42" and 60" bars that one does not come out to play that much. i prefer semi chisel types, They last longer before having to resharpen, cut speed between Fc and Sc to me is mute. .050 vs .058 the .058 is a more robust chassis less streching

But IMHO stock or even muffler modded 4910 your not going to like with full size 3/8.

What you should try IMO if wanting more chain speed is put a 325 8T rim on instead of the 7T that comes on it. Then about same size as the 3/8 7T rim.

There is some really good 325 chains out there. RS pro, RSC, RS, LPX, LGX. LPX smooth in the cuts limbing etc.

I tested 3/8LP picco 7T, 3/8 full size 7T and 325 7T on my ported and muffler modded 490. Going to try the 325 8T someday. But really liking it with the 3/8LP picco set up. It's just my light trimming limbing saw.

My 4910 has been ported by Charles Briscoe. It's nuts how much power that saw has for a 10.4 pound saw. The first time I fired it up I just couldn't stop laughing at how crazy it sounded and how fast it ran. It was a real WTF moment for me. With that I sold my Stihl ms 390.

If you have a chain brand and model of .325 chain that you can recommend I'd appreciate hearing what you use. If you also sell chains I'd be happy to purchase them from you.

So far we've been cutting nothing bigger that 10ninches but I am about to get into some 2 foot stuff and thought I might get a 3/8 chain for that. What's your opinion.

View attachment 997700View attachment 997701
:eek: You put a Poulan Bar on an Echo ,I’m telling :laughing: Just kidding.I just discovered the animated emoji lol. Great information though.Hope you have a Good Day!

My 4910 has been ported by Charles Briscoe. It's nuts how much power that saw has for a 10.4 pound saw. The first time I fired it up I just couldn't stop laughing at how crazy it sounded and how fast it ran. It was a real WTF moment for me. With that I sold my Stihl ms 390.

If you have a chain brand and model of .325 chain that you can recommend I'd appreciate hearing what you use. If you also sell chains I'd be happy to purchase them from you.

So far we've been cutting nothing bigger that 10ninches but I am about to get into some 2 foot stuff and thought I might get a 3/8 chain for that. What's your opinion.
His is one saw I thought should be running 3/8. I have ran them and if you bought yours from guy in Ohio I probably ran it.

325 7T on those is totally worthless. Wanted to test one of those with 3/8 7T but wasnt my saw so didnt get to try it.

Yes get the small 3/8 7T rim and try it.

Here was my 16" 3/8 I tried.

If you have the saw I ran it is in this pic behind 490. Think he might have pulled the full wrap off to sell it in my FB group.

e490cccccc.jpge490.jpg

Sometime check and see if your getting fines in your carb throat area under air filter. We found a cheap fix for this.

2 of us was trying to figure it on out FB chainsaw repair group and he had the part that fit and mine didnt. So ordered them and works great.

4910 from friends shop south of me when comparing differences in intake etc to 490 I took on trade in.

e4910boot.jpg

For me it is easier to sharpen a 3/8 chain vs a .325. That is plenty of reason to move up in size. I ran 3/8 on my ms290 despite all the experts here telling me that was w.r.o.n.g. Ran it that way for over 5 or 6 years. Probably died minutes after I sold it due to my gross negligence and reckless upgrade. LOL!

I did the same upgrade on my ms261. It is now a ticking time bomb as well.

His is one saw I thought should be running 3/8. I have ran them and if you bought yours from guy in Ohio I probably ran it.

325 7T on those is totally worthless. Wanted to test one of those with 3/8 7T but wasnt my saw so didnt get to try it.

Yes get the small 3/8 7T rim and try it.

Here was my 16" 3/8 I tried.

If you have the saw I ran it is in this pic behind 490. Think he might have pulled the full wrap off to sell it in my FB group.

Do you have those for sale or can you recommend someone who carries those parts. I just moved here f(Virginia) from TN so I don't know who might be around here that carries that kind of stuff and I looked on Google I don't see anyone there either.

I can't say enough good about Charles 's porting and machine work. He's obsessively detailed in my opinion. Mine is what he calls a farmsaw build. It's not wound out all the way. It sure is a fun saw. It's so light I will probably sell my limbing saw next. No need to change saws.

Sometime check and see if your getting fines in your carb throat area under air filter. We found a cheap fix for this.

2 of us was trying to figure it on out FB chainsaw repair group and he had the part that fit and mine didnt. So ordered them and works great.

4910 from friends shop south of me when comparing differences in intake etc to 490 I took on trade in.

View attachment 997743
Where are you located in Ohio sir? I might need a good saw mechanic.

just get a 325 spocket and change the type of chain your using. [cheapest way to do it]

changing to 3/8 means sprocket and bar and chain.

Back