How to grind sandvic teeth on machine or retip the carbide on the tooth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin318

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I have seen some old posts on grinding sandvic teeth on machine. Does anyone do this?
And if so,,how do you see what you are doing. Do you lay down to grind them looking up?
Also Does anyone silver solder their carbide tips on the teeth themselves?
I have been watching some videos from carbide processors and it looks lie it is doable but the ones I have seen are pretinned.
The only ones they are selling for the sandvic are untinned. I would like to see how to get the silver under the carbide when brazing.
Thanks for any responses,,Paul

As for grinding them, not a clue, but I will say carbide dust is pretty nasty stuff to inhale so not seeing what goes on is probably a good thing. It does take a special wheel to grind, either diamond, or a green silica type wheel, regular quartz based stones will just turn to dust on carbide.

The silver solder process isn't a whole lot different then lead/tin soldering or brazing, really silver solder is more akin to brazing, the flux is the magic component. clean everything apply some flux to all surfaces, set carbide chunk in place, clamp lightly if needed, heat with torch (oxy/acetylene, or oxy/mapp) until filler material melts and flows. While I'm sure it totally can be done at home on a saw chain or even a circular saw blade, a great deal of talent would be needed to make the results worth the effort, especially without a proper grinding setup.

While proper silver solder will give better results, it is pretty expensive stuff, regular "bronze" or brass filler material will be good enough for most uses until you get better at it and can afford to blow a fair chunk of cash on proper silver solder, its also fairly difficult to source, while the brass/bronze stuff is readily available at most hardware stores.

$45 for one ounce package of silver solder, not even very big stuff either... probably more then enough for doing the occasional bit replacement, or custom lathe tool

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....FfavGpTQPSH2N3CnfN4ODV22RgVRc1kYaAsaiEALw_wcB

Note: This is proper industrial silver solder, not jewelers silver solder, both contain silver and copper, the industrial stuff has a lot less silver in it.
Thanks for the information,,, it is helpful. Do you know of any video showing how to braze a carbide tip on stumpgrinder teeth that is not pretinned?
I understand if it is pretinned but I have not seen anyone brazing one when it is untinned. Thanks,,Paul

You can tin the tip yourself with what ever compound you want to use. I do not use Silver solder, but industrial brazing compound. Much higher strength. Higher melting point also. Was a time when I was using a high silver content compound ( lower melting point)- cost got ridiculous. Check with local welding supply shop they can advise. What I use around here is Harris FC-15 low fume Bronze Braze can't do this with a propane or mapp torch though. Need Oxy acetylene rig.

Thanks for the information,,, it is helpful. Do you know of any video showing how to braze a carbide tip on stumpgrinder teeth that is not pretinned?
I understand if it is pretinned but I have not seen anyone brazing one when it is untinned. Thanks,,Paul
just use the correct flux, really no need to pre tin with silver solder or brazing.

The wicking action will draw the filler metal into small cracks and gaps, its what makes the process so good.

Blades is correct on cost of materials, though I do believe that silver solder vs bronze/brass is much stronger something like 70k PSI vs 40K PSI, but really overkill for most carbide brazing purposes.

ye ole tony, rambles some but the info is solid

I come from a machining background, so I'm more familiar with smaller chunks of carbide vs a stump grinder, however the processes are the same, one just takes a lot more heat.

Something they don't cover in all the vids I've seen about carbide specifically, is that the filler metal follows the heat to some extent, if you want it to really go deep force the heat to draw the metal with it.

Also Tony covers the difference between silver solder, and silver brazing. they are not the same, but everyone calls silver brazing, silver solder... one is made with tin/lead and a small amount of silver, the other with copper and a larger amount of silver.

Latest posts

Back