How To Install Ignition Wire Barb and Boot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom.

Another fun thing to try to fix first time around, like oil lines for Stihl pumps......

I'll add don't cut wire to length until the boot is on, in case you screw up.....
They’re hateful aren’t they haha, I leave the oil pump hose it’s fully length and you get multiple attempts rather than cut to length and mess it up! Same principle as you mention with the HT lead! Good call :)

I find it easier to put the boot on the wire before doing the barb work. That way you don't have to force the barb through the tight end of the boot.
Oh really? I have tried that a few times, but find the barb always wants to pull out as it tries to round the sharp bend in the boot! I’ll try rogues tip of hot water next.

Hot water is easier on rubber/plastic than a flame.
Yep completely agree. I have no excuse other than I can’t be bothered to wait for the kettle and then the time for it to soak - I always have a lighter in my apron and take the quick, maybe somewhat careless method I suppose. Edit: I do the same with fuel lines too when they’re stiff on the barb.

Oh really? I have tried that a few times, but find the barb always wants to pull out as it tries to round the sharp bend in the boot! I’ll try rogues tip of hot water next.
On the style boot shown in the video, there is a very short section that the barb must travel through. On Husqvarna boots, that can be almost an inch and is quite a chore. The pliers that Husqvarna makes for this operation actually crimps the barb rather than it being just a 90 degree bend as shown in the video. That helps it from not coming undone from the wire. The crimp also largely removes the need for the double heatshrink although I like the idea of a single layer which is something I'll borrow from your process. Also helping the boot-first-on-the-wire approach is that the design of many (most?) Husky boots doesn't have such an extreme angle between the wire and the sparkplug.

Maybe hot water is convenient for you, but if not, a heat gun or hair dryer makes a good substitute for the open flame approach.

The hot water also acts as a lube no need for oils or lubricants.
I'll be trying the heat shrink as well not seen that before good idea
True enough but I've found many of these where the barb is very rusted and no longer making contact. I would avoid water for that reason.

On the lubricant issue, some boots are silicone rubber which can be affected by some petroleum products - typically swelling. I use silicone grease or silicone oil for that reason.

Back