How to move horizontally in a tree canopy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't been climbing very long or much but I have encounter a problem. I am not able to move horizontally in the canopy. I know that there has to be some good techniques for this because I see people swinging and hanging hammocks which requires horizontal movement.

When I climb I am like a grape on a vine (just hanging).

Limb walk and keep repositioning the climbing line as you go along , girth hitch a sling above you and clip both ends of your line through it , . Just be careful that if you do fall that your rope is long enough to still get you to the ground in case you can't get back up.

Ok let me ask another basic question. What is the best way to reposition the line above head. If I am in close to the trunk and want to move away from the trunk, I can find a limb a few feet above my head an try to throw a line over it and then pull the tail end of the rope over the limb but only if I can reach my throw line after getting it over the above head limb. Getting the throw line back to me has been a problem. What are some techniques for retrieving the throw line after making an above head horizontal throw?

Redirect probably would have been a better choice of words instead of reposition. Redirecting the climbing line does not get moved out just redirected. Reposition would actually be moving the location of the climbing line.

If you don't have it look into the book Tree Climbers Companion , lots of good information in it and easy to understand.

I have the book so I will take another look to see what I can find. I am thinking that I can throw the line over another limb and maybe use a small grabbel hook to throw out and pull the line back to me. Then I can pull the tail end of the climbing rope over and back and tie in and move around.

Limbwalk or bearhug or whatever you can do to get a foothold in that next crotch. As long as your tied in proper and keep weight on the rop one can push the comfort zone.

You can clip a 10oz throw bag to the end of your climbing line ,that will make it easier to bring the line back down to you.As far as horizontal movement goes,the higher your tie in point(tip) the easier it is to move horizontally ,just make sure what your tying into can support you .

Sent from my I phone 9

I carry a 20' work positioning lanyard, 50' throwline with 10 oz. bag in a line mug, and a yella grapnel with me at all times for movement around the tree. Do you know double end rope technique for DRT? It's the basic way to transition from one branch to another. There is a lot of technique to get the throw bag back to you if it's out of reach. Practice swinging the bag and keep letting out more line until it will reach you.

I limb walk (or slide, lol) until I feel I need a new/secondary tip. The new point is generally directly overhead for ease of access so I don't need to worry about reaching for a thrown line.
But most of our trees down here are rather small, so I try to pick the best central tip I can.
Mind you, I'm a noob. These guys know more than I do.

sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

Thanks for all the tips. This is something that I am thinking about trying. When I am up in the tree and I am trying to throw the bag a little higher, I can only throw it maybe 15' above my head. So I am thinking about using a small sling shot and a 1 oz weight tied onto a spinning reel. I would trip the spinning reel and then shoot the weight up and into position. Has anyone else used a small sling shot to help with getting a line higher into the tree?

Thanks for all the tips. This is something that I am thinking about trying. When I am up in the tree and I am trying to throw the bag a little higher, I can only throw it maybe 15' above my head. So I am thinking about using a small sling shot and a 1 oz weight tied onto a spinning reel. I would trip the spinning reel and then shoot the weight up and into position. Has anyone else used a small sling shot to help with getting a line higher into the tree?
I've used a regular hunting style slingshot to launch a throw line. But I found that a piddly 1oz weight can be inadequate for pulling the line down on rough enough bark and a 1.5-2.5 oz weight worked much better.

sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

Depending on what technic your climbing with you can climb as high as possible above the branch you want to go out on, then if using single rope(SRT)use natural forks in the branches as redirects, working your self out further on each branch. The more branches you use, the smaller your redirect can be with the many, stronger then one.
Using a bigshot sling shot its easy to get your line 80 to 90 feet. Higher then that might take a crossbow or bow and arrow.. The whole trick to limbwalking is having your tie off as high as possible, and as little angle as you can, so you'll be stabilized.

Sherrilltree sells a collapsable reach rod that telescopes out to 10 feet for advancing line or pulling in a throwbag. I use something similar modified from a tool golfers use to retrieve golf balls from water hazards. Throw line aficionados will tell you it is cheating, you really should learn how to make the throwline weight swing to you, but ... reach rod works for me. Much faster than sitting up there in the tree playing with my balls. Er, Bag. Er, well, whatever you use for a throwline weight.

Setting a double crotch (rather than a redirect) is my favorite way to move out in the canopy. Double crotch to a neighboring tree is even better, makes it possible to Traverse between canopies. That is what I am doing in my avatar. Or, set a Tyrolean Traverse, and move Way Out Horizontaly. But save that for after you have taken an advanced rigging class, or climb with someone who has. Double crotch is simple and safe, and keeps you from accidentally swinging back into the trunk, gives you complete control and precise positioning.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Retreever-1165

image.jpg

I haven't seen one for ages, but there easy to make for retrieving your throw line while up in the tree. It's a small lead weight with little spiral hooks. the whole thing will fit in a top shirt pocket. After your throw line is out there over a limb, hanging down, you attach the lead weight to the line your holding, now pay out line tell the weight is hanging next to the throw ball or there abouts. Then give it a little pull to make it swing and catch the other side of the throw line with the ball on it, reel her in, that's all it takes.
I made one from a big fishing lead weight, and some strong wire. Getting the throw ball where you want it is the hard part. retrieving it a piece of cake,

I haven't seen one for ages, but there easy to make for retrieving your throw line while up in the tree. It's a small lead weight with little spiral hooks. the whole thing will fit in a top shirt pocket. After your throw line is out there over a limb, hanging down, you attach the lead weight to the line your holding, now pay out line tell the weight is hanging next to the throw ball or there abouts. Then give it a little pull to make it swing and catch the other side of the throw line with the ball on it, reel her in, that's all it takes.
I made one from a big fishing lead weight, and some strong wire. Getting the throw ball where you want it is the hard part. retrieving it a piece of cake,

I use the New Tribe Yella Grapnel to retrieve my throw line if I can't get a good swing going. Works well and is well worth the money. I attach it like you described or sometimes just swing it using the paracord it comes with. http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=61

When drt you can use both ends of your rope too if you need to. I use main rope and a lanyard but I'll carry a spare prussik as a handy extra in case

Limb walk and keep repositioning the climbing line as you go along , girth hitch a sling above you and clip both ends of your line through it , . Just be careful that if you do fall that your rope is long enough to still get you to the ground in case you can't get back up.
Hello Shutup-n-Cut,

Can you clarify the last part of your comment, "Just be careful...." I would think that the climber would still be roped in with whatever ascension device, so that have a rope to get back up...or down to the ground wouldn't be an issue. It seems that you are suggesting that limb walking in the manner you described with compromise your ability to return home. Thank you.

ZK

Back