How to quote land clearing jobs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platinum Land Clearing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What's going on fellas

Looking into starting a land-clearing company currently looking into machines with mulching heads! Just posting here to see if there are any tips from you guys that have been doing this for a while that I should know about, mainly looking for some tips and advice when it comes to quoting out jobs and trying to give a rough idea on how long the job will take. ANY tips or info will help a lot

The work I’ve had done was by the hour. You paid a three hour minimum. Usually $100 - $125 per machine. Excavator I had to pay a delivery fee in addition. Since it was a huge machine

The work I’ve had done was by the hour. You paid a three hour minimum. Usually $100 - $125 per machine. Excavator I had to pay a delivery fee in addition. Since it was a huge machine
Good to know! Some customers want to know how long it will take I know it will always be different with each job but how do I give them a rough idea?

Good to know! Some customers want to know how long it will take I know it will always be different with each job but how do I give them a rough idea?
You can’t without experience. I had a guy quote me a job and it took him twice as long as he thought. He said he should have done it by the hour. But he stood by his word. He walked it beforehand, but didn’t go all the way to the back where it was a mess.

Why would you start a business you have no experience in?
I have experience in running machines which my job is running hoe..... Running a skid steer with a mulcher shouldn't be harder than pulling grade. Tons of people got into a business with tons of unknowns if you keep working at it and understand your wrongs and rights then hopefully after all your hard work you'll have a good business... you think everyone that started a business knew every detail about it? No one said I didn't like the advice I was given simply asking questions man in the state of todays world we need more people out here taking risks

You can’t without experience. I had a guy quote me a job and it took him twice as long as he thought. He said he should have done it by the hour. But he stood by his word. He walked it beforehand, but didn’t go all the way to the back where it was a mess.
Sounds to me like the guy was looking for quick cash if you aren't doing a full walk-through and laying everything out with the customer and just kinda guessing then things will be missed doesn't matter if I am a laborer or an operator on a site I always make sure to walk the entire site to make sure I understand what needs to be done and you can make suggestions to the customer. I appreciate your feed back!!!!

I have experience in running machines which my job is running hoe..... Running a skid steer with a mulcher shouldn't be harder than pulling grade. Tons of people got into a business with tons of unknowns if you keep working at it and understand your wrongs and rights then hopefully after all your hard work you'll have a good business... you think everyone that started a business knew every detail about it? No one said I didn't like the advice I was given simply asking questions man in the state of todays world we need more people out here taking risks
we'll start here...
When I bought my excavator, I had a total of 8 hours of seat time in an excavator, and a little bit of backhoe experience, didn't know much about land clearing as I was a machinist at the time. That was 8 years ago, I haven't looked back.

Anyway, I have a minimum for excavator work alone, 8 hours, so if client wants me to come in dig one little ditch and be done with it, I don't lose my butt in moving the machine, which takes a minimum of 2 hours (closer to 4 on average), alternatively you could charge for moving in and moving off, which is common though I've seen some fair rediculouse charges on that end, one guy charged his clients $2500 to move machines (I moved them and only charged $500... dude was a crook)

For the actual rate, you need to figure out your costs, fuel, lube, parts, etc, and what you think your personal time is worth. Not necessarily what you make hourly today, but what you deserve to make, now figure that whatever you make an hour the machine needs to make per hour. While also being competive with other local companies (your don't necessarily want to undercut them, but what some of these jerks around here are charging is Ludacris, $185 per hour for a mini? for reals bruh?) You'll also have to figure in machine payments and insurance (you will have insurance right?)

As for the mulching head, they have their own expenses, teeth alone can cripple you, let alone hoses and bearings.
Anyhow, Good luck, its a tough business to be in, but worth every dirty booger.

we'll start here...
When I bought my excavator, I had a total of 8 hours of seat time in an excavator, and a little bit of backhoe experience, didn't know much about land clearing as I was a machinist at the time. That was 8 years ago, I haven't looked back.

Anyway, I have a minimum for excavator work alone, 8 hours, so if client wants me to come in dig one little ditch and be done with it, I don't lose my butt in moving the machine, which takes a minimum of 2 hours (closer to 4 on average), alternatively you could charge for moving in and moving off, which is common though I've seen some fair rediculouse charges on that end, one guy charged his clients $2500 to move machines (I moved them and only charged $500... dude was a crook)

For the actual rate, you need to figure out your costs, fuel, lube, parts, etc, and what you think your personal time is worth. Not necessarily what you make hourly today, but what you deserve to make, now figure that whatever you make an hour the machine needs to make per hour. While also being competive with other local companies (your don't necessarily want to undercut them, but what some of these jerks around here are charging is Ludacris, $185 per hour for a mini? for reals bruh?) You'll also have to figure in machine payments and insurance (you will have insurance right?)

As for the mulching head, they have their own expenses, teeth alone can cripple you, let alone hoses and bearings.
Anyhow, Good luck, its a tough business to be in, but worth every dirty booger.
Thank you so much man for your feedback! I am currently figuring out my insurance and waiting on quotes for a machine so I can start figuring out what my costs will be. I am still in starting stages and really trying to put my best foot forward in running this business. Thank you so much again!

Sounds to me like the guy was looking for quick cash if you aren't doing a full walk-through and laying everything out with the customer and just kinda guessing then things will be missed doesn't matter if I am a laborer or an operator on a site I always make sure to walk the entire site to make sure I understand what needs to be done and you can make suggestions to the customer. I appreciate your feed back!!!!
No, he was a good friend and he walked down the old logging road and it looked the same all the way through. It was a clear cut, but a lot stumpier on the far side.

Thank you so much man for your feedback! I am currently figuring out my insurance and waiting on quotes for a machine so I can start figuring out what my costs will be. I am still in starting stages and really trying to put my best foot forward in running this business. Thank you so much again!
consider used older machines, they may be a little slower, and not as comfy, but having it paid for is pretty nice, making payments is a sure way to stay broke, then go out of business when things get slow.
Right now I have about 2 days of stumping infront of me, then? nuthin lined up but its not a huge worry cause I don't have several thousands in payments due every month, just a mortgage, and food, I can pause the insurance until I get work again (even then its not terribly expensive)

consider used older machines, they may be a little slower, and not as comfy, but having it paid for is pretty nice, making payments is a sure way to stay broke, then go out of business when things get slow.
Right now I have about 2 days of stumping infront of me, then? nuthin lined up but its not a huge worry cause I don't have several thousands in payments due every month, just a mortgage, and food, I can pause the insurance until I get work again (even then its not terribly expensive)
100% on used equipment. Buy it, own it and take care of it. F#ck the new trucks and equipment with the emissions nonsense. My (3) trucks 1994 F350 crew cab 4wd utility bed diesel, 1995 f250 2wd power stroke, 2000 2500 4wd club cab ram Cummins, mini ex (JD 27D), 18' 14k gvw bumper pull equipment trailer, and 16' dump trailer cost me less than my very good friends 2022 ram 1500. He won't get in his truck dirty, it can't tow, and has a short bed. Struggles to tow 6k lbs. Everything I have is an investment to make me money. All bought and paid for in full when I decided I needed it. Debt is slavery.
Work your ass off, pinch pennies, and invest in yourself. F#ck the stock market, crypto and all the other things you have no control of.
Now you may want to work for an established outfit that is already doing what you want to do. Learn what they do right & what they do wrong, and you could do it while getting paid.
Starting a small business is extremely hard work. Finding good reliable help..... Good luck! I am over 1:20 in hire vs. fires|quitters. The (1) in 20 only lasts about 6-12 months. I've learned to invest in equipment rather than bodies that just collect paychecks.

Back