How to remove bar retaining bolt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwh963

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Took this craftsman 42 cc special edition home from the dump. See that one bolt is missing it’s nut, the other is tight on the bolt and the bolt has been chewed down with pliers probably trying to remove the bolt it nut.

So, how do I remove the complete bolt/nut to free the bar, etc?

Attachments

• 570B039E-82BF-4227-B916-23F322D32385.jpeg
    570B039E-82BF-4227-B916-23F322D32385.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
I had an older one with stripped and bent studs. The studs had square heads that fit in slots in the oil tank. I just took a hammer and punch and drove them out and shook them out of the oil tank. You will have to get that nut off before you can get the stud out.

Well, that stud is pooched anyhow, so I would grind two opposing flats on the stud so it could be held with adjustable wrench or similar and use an open end wrench to force the nut up the boggered thread until it was high enough to cut below it to remove, then punch the remains of the stud into the oil tank (as suggested above) and replace both along with new flange nuts.

, ok, so the bolt have heads that are inside the bar oil reservoir? i hoped it could be backed out. looks like the PO tried to hold the bolt to turn the nut but failed and just stripped the threads.

wonder if you could clamp the stud in a vise and still reach the nut?Maybe put on a box wrench 6 point then clamp in a vise. How strong is your grip?Maybe a pair of vice grips on the stud.It may just spin loose with a powerful impact wrench and impact socket.

looks like my big issue first is the other bolt is in the way of a wrench handle. what's the removal process, just use a punch on the bolt top and it falls into the oil tank?

looks like my big issue first is the other bolt is in the way of a wrench handle. what's the removal process, just use a punch on the bolt top and it falls into the oil tank?
I would be replacing both of them, so I'd just hit it with the hammer, but yeah hammer/punch will do it.

From the looks of the stud length, I would say the the studs have been pulled through the crankcase because of over torquing

This is it, right here.

I had a few of those Poulan/Craftsman saws. Some of them had completely non functional chain tensioning systems. One was built into the bar? Didn't matter how much you tightened the bar nuts, the chain wasn't staying tight. I'd bet a cup of coffee that's what happened here.

The most common reason is that the saw owner is running a shot drive sprocket and they are desperately trying to keep their chains tight. They are assuming that the bar nuts are not holding the bar in place.

Back