How To Score a Home Depot DCS6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarky

Reaction score
Thanks to all the great people on this site that help educate the less informed like me.:bowdown:

Brad S. and others led me to the great little refurbished Ryobi (RedMax) 40cc saws a year and a half ago. When I decided I wanted a bigger saw for bigger wood, I did research here and discovered the secret of the Home Depot 6401s. As other members have said, search is a wonderful thing.

I've noticed a few people on the site asking how they can get one of these saws. Let me start by saying that in the Portland Oregon area, we have seven Home Depots with rental departments. A helpful guy at one of the Home Depots revealed to me that they sell rental equipment when "corporate" tells them it's time, and that a monthly list comes out around the first week of the month. So, he suggested calling stores the first week of the month. He was nice enough to check on the west side stores. I found another gentleman on the east side of town who would check the computer for *ALL* the metro stores. When I called, I would just ask if the "list" had come out yet. If yes, then do they have any gas chain saws? If not call back in a few days.

After calling the first week for two months, the East Portland Mall 205 store turned up with 4 saws for sale in December and I snapped one up for $149! All the saws had cosmetic damage: some had damage from people using a scrench to (un)screw the bar oil cap, one had a partially broken kill switch, some had damage to the chain catcher, one was missing both M5x20 torx screws that hold the hood (one screw was rolling around below the carb), one had paint bubbling near the bar nuts, one looked like someone tried to pry out the de-comp valve using a screwdriver with all sorts of radial gouges?:confused: The rental guy told me the low hour saw that I selected (35 rentals) had a new chain (removing the scabbard revealed that it did not), so he threw in a 3rd new chain (unfortunately Trilink). It did have a new air filter and he threw in a bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil. He offered me the chance to rent the saw before I bought it, but I just bought it knowing that if the top end had problems I could upgrade to a 79cc or BB kit or probably swap it for one of the other saws (based on other threads).

I got the impression that HD doesn't do much maintenance themselves, beyond replacing chains and air filters. They said they check if the bar is straight and the pull rope is OK. Anything else and the saw goes to the Makita repair center. When they rent, they supply a gallon of mix to help avoid straight gas damage.

The saw runs great, the oiler works as it should, and now I have big saw to replace my tired 80's PM610. The 6401 is easy to start despite the HD guy claiming that 6401s flood easily.

So to recap, call the HD rental center(s) around the first week of the month, and have them check the list!

Good info about the first week of the month. I was unaware exactly when they made the decision to sell.

Good info about the first week of the month. I was unaware exactly when they made the decision to sell.

i have tried the store in our area a few times and they arent interested in even talking about it. they ussually say nope they arent for sale and its a corporate decision not thiers

I went in there once but no saws forsale. Are they really only $150? Hell i may wait around now.....

I was told something similar, corporate sends "the list" around the 1st or the 10th. I was also told the price is usually around $360. I chuckled when the guy told me they are almost $600 new.

Latest posts

Back