How to start Dolmar ps5000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RpR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought this saw severa; years back, but just now put a chain on the bar.
How do you start this saw, it has so much compression I cannot pull the rope without jerking the saw, even when my foot is in the handle-bar loop.
At most I can get one or two compression cycles.
I have started a lot of chain saws over the years but never had this problem.

I will check the chain and try starting with out it.
49.9 cc
I had my first hiccup with my 592xp last weekend... rope wouldn't pull, Id get one or two chugs... Well it was user error, chain wasn't on the sprocket. luckily it never ran. good luck hopefully its something simple also.

Not sure how the chain would affect starting unless the clutch was seized.
Have you checked for carbon build up in the cylinder? Have you tried it with the ignition off? If it's easier with the ignition off, then maybe someone messed with the timing. Pu the flywheel and check for the key alignment. If it's the same with ignition on or off, maybe someone did a mod and deleted the base gasket? That would increase compression.

Not sure how the chain would affect starting unless the clutch was seized.
Have you checked for carbon build up in the cylinder? Have you tried it with the ignition off? If it's easier with the ignition off, then maybe someone messed with the timing. Pu the flywheel and check for the key alignment. If it's the same with ignition on or off, maybe someone did a mod and deleted the base gasket? That would increase compression.
my chain was in between clutch and sprocket. probably not his issue.

That was the problem, but I fixed that and I could move the chain by hand, pulled a few times it was kinda easly pull then it locked up, could not move the chain by hand.
Took the chain and bar off, and now you can barely pull it .
Back to where it was minus bar and chain.
I do not want to take it to a shop but probably will have to.

I bought this saw severa; years back, but just now put a chain on the bar.
How do you start this saw, it has so much compression I cannot pull the rope without jerking the saw, even when my foot is in the handle-bar loop.
At most I can get one or two compression cycles.
I have started a lot of chain saws over the years but never had this problem.
Those saws have a fair bit of compression. Make sure your chain is on correctly. May also wanna pull the spark plug and see if it pulls over smoothly. If it does throw the plug back in and pull that recoil with some authority.

Thank you for the replies, well, I took the chain and bar off and took it to a repair shop, the gent, said it has a lot of compression and took it in back.
He pulled and it went with difficulty pop-pop, hard, he tried harder, p-p-p-p, he tried again, p-p-p-p-p-brr, finall the next time it actually started to run and pulling the starting rope was easy after that. (Although if you do not give it a true hard pull it likes to laugh at you.)
It had not been run in years and I guess, I was too used to using Stihl, and other saws that even if they did not start pulled what I call easy/ier.
Took it home and cut down a an 8 ft by 2 ft Mulberry tree trunk with ease but I wish I had a 2 foot bar rather than 20 inch bar.
I cut it literally just above the ground, final of 4 chunk cuts, did the new chain no good, where it was more like 2 and one-half feet wide and the thing was on the side of a hill surrounded by the other half's Hostas and what was left of rotting trunks 2 & 3.

Again thanks for the replies.
Bob

I have one and appreciate the decomp button. They are a great saw and have plenty of grunt. Hang onto it

Back