How to stop new growth around stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

560Dennis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I think it’s a mistake to cut in spring. Now that I did it . New growth comes up from everything I’ve cut in the past stumps in multiple.
what can I do to stop it . Been going for two years or more .

You could try spraying the sprouts with roundup or lawn weed killer and let the plant grow it into the remaining root system. Drilling wood like suggested above is questionable because a lot of the downward movement is in the outer layers. But if you spray sprout growth, it should pull the herbicide down and translocate it. I've done it quite a few times successfully. Right before autumn leaf color change is a good time, but it can be done in other growing season months.

Some say to use Glyphosate which is roundup. That will kill only the new growth and is like locking the barn after the horse is out. You will continue to have new shoots. Cut your stumps and apply Tordon around the outer ring for existing shoots cut them and apply Tordon to the small stumps. It will be taken into the root system and end your problems.

Some say to use Glyphosate which is roundup. That will kill only the new growth and is like locking the barn after the horse is out. You will continue to have new shoots. Cut your stumps and apply Tordon around the outer ring for existing shoots cut them and apply Tordon to the small stumps. It will be taken into the root system and end your problems.
When did glyphosphate stop killing roots?

When did glyphosphate stop killing roots?
It never had been effective at killing the root system of a trees and most other perennials. I can post a lot of real life pictures tonight but all it will do is clog the mans thread up. If you want to believe it is effective at permeant killing of trees and some other perennials that is fine. It is effective on most annuals. It is too late in the year for you to try this but you can next year. Go select four similar sized trees that you would like to kill. Spray 25, 50,75and 100percent of them respectively. See what the results are. You will see the respective amounts appear to die but the untouched will live. Select a fifth tree and cut it down then spray the stump. In 2024 go back and look at the results. The four uncut but sprayed trees will be alive and the stump applied one will be sprouting shoots depending on species. Another quicker trial is to spray a small section of grass early in the spring. It will appear to die but then as the season progresses you will see the grass come back. This is one of the reasons when no till farming you have to spray a second application of Glyphosate as the first application burns everything down but does not kill the roots of the perennials such as grasses. It does kill grasses such as corn because corn is an annual.

You can believe what you want but that is real life experience Your experience will vary

Some say to use Glyphosate which is roundup. That will kill only the new growth and is like locking the barn after the horse is out.

I've never met "some say" before, but have sprayed and killed a lot of entire plants, weeds and small trees with Roundup before. There's been a few times it didn't work, but usually it worked if the leaves were not dusty. It even annihilates blackberry plants roots and all if applied around September to plants that are not badly stressed. About 40 years ago I maintained both pesticide consultant and pesticide applicator licenses here in Oregon, and repeated college classes to maintain my arborist CEUs. So I have a decent foundation about what works or not.

Anyway, Roundup is a TRANSLOCATING herbicide typically applied post emergent, and it will translocate to roots. It's one of few ways to kill small trees that have grown their roots amidst the root ball of desirable shrubs, where digging won't resolve the problem.

But if glyphosate has failed for somebody, that's worth keeping in mind. There's reasons or conditions that may have worked against them at times. Could be dust on the leaves. Maybe they left the site an an unknown downpour occurred while they were off site. Maybe the foliage and petioles were too far into autumn transition

I've never met "some say" before, but have sprayed and killed a lot of entire plants, weeds and small trees with Roundup before. There's been a few times it didn't work, but usually it worked if the leaves were not dusty. It even annihilates blackberry plants roots and all if applied around September to plants that are not badly stressed. About 40 years ago I maintained both pesticide consultant and pesticide applicator licenses here in Oregon, and repeated college classes to maintain my arborist CEUs. So I have a decent foundation about what works or not.

Anyway, Roundup is a TRANSLOCATING herbicide typically applied post emergent, and it will translocate to roots. It's one of few ways to kill small trees that have grown their roots amidst the root ball of desirable shrubs, where digging won't resolve the problem.

But if glyphosate has failed for somebody, that's worth keeping in mind. There's reasons or conditions that may have worked against them at times. Could be dust on the leaves. Maybe they left the site an an unknown downpour occurred while they were off site. Maybe the foliage and petioles were too far into autumn transition
Since you are in the PNW with a different growing season how did those plants look like 90 days 120 days, 240 days and 360 days later after a single application? Are your no-till farmers using a single application for lifetime control? If so that is great as one application to a perennial is lifetime control with no more control needed. Then no one would ever need to buy Glyphosate again for perennial. . So on woody stem and basal bark applications no one uses the most effective treatments of Picloram or Triclopyr ? The poster asked about killing a woody stem from a cut stump and Glyphosate is ineffective at that task. You can believe what you want but real life experience by millions is hard to refute. I guess you want to believe it I am not going to argue with you. I just want to help the poster find an effective method of permanently solving the issue and not a "band-aid" for a few months or a year. In 30 years of using Picloram I have never had to treat a stump twice and no one that I have ever talked with has either. You can believe what you choose. If you do not believe me then go do the experiment I suggested. It will be quicker in your growing season. I am very interested in the findings.

Bill

He must be thinking of some other chemical.

Picloram is better known as Tordon, in the forestry industry, we used the regulated product but consumers can use Tordon RTU to treat the stumps for sprouting or regrowth.
Here is a vid that shows you how to apply.

It is by far the most effective in my opinion. The RTU is available almost everywhere including even Amazon. As you noted the Tordon 22K is regulated and required an applicators license which of course I have as well as millions of other folks.

How are you using the ,22K ? There is a lot of different opinions on it. Some say use it full strength which defeats to he purpose of buying it over RTU. Others mix it with one part 24D and two parts diesel. Others say forget the diesel and use water lots of varying thoughts on it.

What he said!

We used it in a hand sprayer at 10% Tordon 22k with Basal Oil + DYE for spraying stumps on small scale. Needs to be sprayed soon after cut so the so the cambium area takes up chemical, can also add 2-4D to the mix for better control.
I have always just used the RTU but last winter I looked into getting the 22K because I needed a huge amount. I got conflicting answers from some folks on how to mix it. Some said 2 gallons of diesel with one gallon each of 22K and 24D. Others said to use water. So if I understand you correctly you are using the 22K as only 10 percent of your solution. If so how much 24D

Glyphosate foliar spray will get to the roots, need to allow it to transfer from foliage before cutting. Can also paint fresh cut stumps/vines with concentrate.

Latest posts

Back