How would you fell this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyrpa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have felled a lot of trees, but once in a while I come across an interesting or difficult one for which advice would ensure my safety. I have a double trunk shagbark hickory with one standing dead side that I want to fell for firewood. How would I cut the dead side down? Should I create a notch, and then stair-step it, creating two hinges, with two plunge cuts leaving a 1" overlap? Should I relieve the stress between them with a vertical cut first? How high off the ground should I cut it? I'm 5'6", which is huge in Japan. Saws to recommend are JohnnyRed 920 28", Husky 371XP 20", or Dolmar 5105 18". Thanks.
IMG20221111125240.jpgIMG20221111125206.jpgIMG20221111125155.jpg

Start by clearing all the vines and brush around it so you can get at it have a means to escape when it starts to fall.

Then I'd do a notch, and plunge into it's other side missing the live tree and finish the backcut towards the notch.

If you do the plunge you can cut it a lot closer to the ground. Looks like a lot of dead stuff from above, be careful of that and get away so soon as it moves.

Start by clearing all the vines and brush around it so you can get at it have a means to escape when it starts to fall.

Then I'd do a notch, and plunge into it's other side missing the live tree and finish the backcut towards the notch.

If you do the plunge you can cut it a lot closer to the ground. Looks like a lot of dead stuff from above, be careful of that and get away so soon as it moves.
Yes, I always clear the area. After I have thought about it, what you describe will be the simple and safe method. But the easiest and safest method would be for me to watch you cut it, LOL! Thanks.

my idea: maybe similar to what folks above said but not sure of some of the jargon ya'll use. . . sorry.

In MY words:
-- make about a 3" deep cut into the backside(between the two, above the crotch)
-- 6" below that cut, on the outside, cut a wedge(you guys call that a notch, I guess?) about 1/2 through the diameter
-- on the inside of the crotch, again, just finish that 3" deep cut towards the hinge area till it sways and drops

OK, so what did I get wrong?!

Drill a 1 inch hole half way into the trunk, slide a stick of dynamite into said hole. Light fuse and get away.
Option 2 :( open face cut the outer trunk in the direction its leaning then plunge cut. determine its strength and rottenness from the plunge cut just incase it needs to be pulled over for safety.

my idea: maybe similar to what folks above said but not sure of some of the jargon ya'll use. . . sorry.

In MY words:
-- make about a 3" deep cut into the backside(between the two, above the crotch)
-- 6" below that cut, on the outside, cut a wedge(you guys call that a notch, I guess?) about 1/2 through the diameter
-- on the inside of the crotch, again, just finish that 3" deep cut towards the hinge area till it sways and drops

OK, so what did I get wrong?!
Well... pretty much all of it.... you just created a perfect situation for a barberchair... with your first cut you are releasing tension wood without dealing with the compression wood.
When you cut your wedge/notch halfway through the diameter, you have removed the compression wood , and probably pinched your saw, unless it has chaired by now...
I would be surprised if the third cut is necessary at this point...

All done, cut up and split!
Here's what I did:

Used my Dolmar 5105 w/narrow kerf bar.
Cleared all of the tree whips from the area
Notched it 5" about 3' up to stay in the good wood
Plunged cut it back against the other trunk and sawed the part of the trunk from the shovel of the good trunk. (Had to go at it from both sides because that bar is too short! Should have used the 371XP.)
Proceeded the cut towards the notch and she fell nicely.
The upper part of the tree was punky, but the trunk split up for some nice firewood.

Usually I'd just rip questionable trees down with the excavator, but this was a good learning experience. Thanks to all!

Drill a 1 inch hole half way into the trunk, slide a stick of dynamite into said hole. Light fuse and get away.
Option 2 :( open face cut the outer trunk in the direction its leaning then plunge cut. determine its strength and rottenness from the plunge cut just incase it needs to be pulled over for safety.
I felt the center to be soft when I plunged, so I went back before going towards the notch

I'm not a expert but the bark from the shagbark makes some great smoked hamburgers. Break the bark in small pieces w a hammer or pliers about 2". Soak the bark in water overnight and drain it for a few hours. Start a fire in Webber kettle grill/etc. w a lot of coals. Meanwhile make the burgers, salt n pepper or other seasons and put them on the grate OFF the grill with the center open of the grill like a hole in a doughnut. When the coals are hot grab two hands full of the bark and drop in the center of the coals. Put the lid on w the vents open for 3 or 5 mins. It will smoke like a house on fire. Then take the lid off and set the grill grate with burgers on the grill and put the lid on. 3 or 4 mins. and take the lid of and turn the burgers and put the lid back, vents open for 2 or 3 mins. These burgers will look rare but it's the smoke and the meat looks red like its rare even in the center of the burgers, the smoke makes them red and they are juicy and delicious. There should enough of heat to take the burgers off the grill and toss another bunch of more burgers on/smoke etc. again maybe 3 or 4 times. They are very good w the smoke and a slice of onion, mustard, tomato, cheese etc.

Back